Truth Sword


I was in a difficult and protracted situation recently about something I supposedly did over five years ago. The operating presumption of several people was that I indeed was the individual responsible. It wasn't a super serious situation but serious enough that it had to be addressed. I could have accepted the guilt and probably been no worse for wear, brushed myself off, and moved on. But, something did not sit right. So, I would not let the issue fade away. I was insistent, in a civil manner, that we get to the bottom of it.

It could turn out that I was indeed the responsible party. The certainty of guilt could be increased or lessened by my willingness to engage the issue until resolution. I was willing to step up and make amends if I was guilty or be absolved. Either way the truth would come out and I had to be certain that I would be OK with either option. Further investigation would must certainly reveal my guilt. Others did not seem inclined to pursue the process of fact-finding. But, I didn't want to let it rest. Guilt can be assumed in the presence of silence. I was not cool with that if I was indeed innocent.

Turns out that it does appear that I was innocent. A much more reasonable explanation was developed that fits the points of the case much more accurately than if I was the guilty party. There is still an outside chance that I am guilty, but in the eyes of the people who matter who are involved, I think the alternative explanation has been deemed much more plausible. If it turns out that we are mistaken, then I need to own up and I will.

When Jesus said that "the Truth will set you free" this statement demonstrates that Truth either may reveal our guilt and then we are to confess, repent, and make an apology or restitution. Or, the Truth might exonerate us from the presumption of guilt. Either way, the Truth has indeed set us free from either false guilt or real guilt. It cuts both ways. That is a double-edged sword I can live with.      

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream