Absorbing Evil

I have been on the receiving end recently of several harsh confrontations...one where third parties who I totally respect told me that I got hammered undeservedly. They are the same people who tell me when I am in the wrong so it is a valid read.

I kept my cool and took it like a man. It didn't mean that I didn't answer the accusations, yet I tried to do it a spirit of understanding their perceptions, even though the facts hardly were on their side. It is not that I am not capable of attacking people...as a psychologist I often know how to get at people...I choose not to use these weapons even though I have them.

Don't doubt this...I am a student of people and pick up on things that most people don't perceive. It is part a gift and part my training. The reason of not going on the attack is practical. I try to think of the end game. What does it accomplish? There are a lot of situations that spiral into stupidity because neither party has the good sense to hit the brakes. The second reason is that if my being a Christ follower is for real, I had better be willing to let God be the judge. He will recompense in the end. And the end is going going to be something that cannot be avoided. Knowing that all accounts will be settled gives me the peace to wait until the Lord acts. I don't have to be the judge. I have to just absorb it.

I worry about being perceived a wus yet I trust that the Lord is pleased when I am willing to be abased. As He was...

Comments

Carter Stepper said…
This is a tough one for me. I lean the same direction, that is, I usually try to just take the abuse. But right now I am facinga situation where I feel like it is not right to continue to be sinned against (or rather, someone else I care about being sinned against, in this case). We are supposed to point out when another has sinned against us, as well as turn the other cheek, but it is often very difficult to say which is appropriate in which situation.
Mike said…
The Lord did not tell us to be a wus...he was not. Stand your ground and in Christ's love. Don't wear your religion on your sleeve, just live it.
Jesus was always firm when he dealt with everyone. Read a gospel and tell me if he was. I can't find that he was.

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream