Amish Salsanator

Do the Amish eat Salsa...or is it too worldly and disruptive to the social fabric of their community? Don't know.

One thing I do know is that I made salsa today Amish-like without the carnal Cuisinart that my wife uses. It would take me an hour to set up, three minutes to use, and an hour to clean it up and put it away.

No, I sliced and diced with a mere knife and cutting board. The tomatoes, peppers (red and jalapeno), and parsley in the garden were chanting Beatles-like, 'Come together, over me." See the concert in the bowl? It is good, and hot.

I head to the beach tomorrow and had to go something rather than let it all rot. That is a crime. I brought in some organic garlic and an evil Costco mass-farmed red onion into the mix, drenched it in vinegar, and salsa here we are. Salsa due to the vinegar, keeps quite a while.

I think we lose something when we use our equipment to divorce our senses from the material world....sort of a technological Gnosticism. Don't touch, sense, smell. Flick the switch and be done with it. Christ came in the flesh to show us that the material creation is good, for if it was evil, he would and could not have come. Sin is the problem, the desire to be like God. As long as we keep our appreciation for creation appropriate and neither abuse nor adore it, God is pleased.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream