Winehouse: Tears Don't Dry On Their Own

Artistically, Winehouse was a talent of generational significance. Her life and her art was in the same glass. She drank from it until it was empty.

I can't say that I was real familiar with her work or life before she passed. I never got past Rehab. Sadly, neither did she in real life.

Since her death, I have read up about her and listened to her music. Punk, Jazz, and Motown. She mixed styles like a musical bartendress and it worked. Here is the video from Tears Dry On Their Own. Man, what she did was original. Drunk on talent, drunk on alcohol.

It is true that tears dry on their own. But that is often not a good thing. The tears for Amy Winehouse will dry soon enough, for most of the world is already depressed, distracted, or dismayed about something else. I tell my students that "You don't want to live in a world where no one cries for you." Or, where no one hears our cries.

How much more comforting is this:


Thou tellest my wanderings: put thou my tears into thy bottle: are they not in thy book?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream