WE Not ME

I remember a few years ago, I lead a weekly Bible Study for men at a church. During the Singles Class, I stood up and did a little promo for the weekly study. One of the first things I said was, "If you can't be in attendance weekly, without a legit excuse like your car died on the way over, DON'T BOTHER COMING. And make your decision now or very soon as to whether you are going to commit or not."

Now, don't get me wrong. I wanted men to come, I hoped for them to come. But, I was not going to give the vibe that I was begging anyone, pleading, wheedling. Do IT or Don't Do IT. Your call...just don't be a Maybe Middler and Wishy-Washer. Most people, catching the whiff of desperation for affirmation, head in the opposite direction. No one respects an interpersonal beggar for approval. We might have pity on him or her, but have some dignity man and do something besides sticking out your psychic hand for affirmation.

The results? Probably the best attended Bible Study for the Singles Class while I was there (about 8 years) in regards to the percentage of men attending. Here was another facet of the Bible Study....I did not teach it beyond the first night.

Instead, we had a draft of sorts like the NFL where each man in attendance selected 2-3 biblical male characters to profile. So, the result was I didn't have to be the sole authority. It wasn't me and then everyone else. I structured it from the beginning as a WE project. So, men had to show up and do their part. If they blew it off or did a so-so job, guess what? They had to deal with the group and not me as the School Principal figure.

Great endeavors are always WE projects. Not ME projects. There are leaders, creators, innovators, but a person's effectiveness is only as potent as his or hers ability to inspire others to act on the ideas.

One of the dudes in the culture right now who has captured a large group of like-minded participants is Guy Vaynerchuk, a social media populist wine guru. He has written a book called Crush It: Cash In On Your Passion. Here is a video of a talk he gave where he outlines his principles for success. The "Cash" part of the title of the book had to be a PR persons idea because it is clear that Guy V. is not solely or primarily concerned about money. He wants to have influence, to be an authority on wine and how to run an entrepreneurial enterprise, but he is not like some Amway rep. who acts like your friend to get close enough to get access to your wallet or purse. Get away you rattish soul.

No, he has passion--it seems--beyond filthy lucre. I am sure the money coming in is nice but anyone who has money, who is honest, knows that it is hardly the ingredient for a happy life beyond a certain point of sustenance and survival. In fact, in examining the lives of the rich and famous, many have impoverished souls and are dead inside. That is not an article of faith but a fact. Money is a means to other ends...and the best ends is empowering others to become who they are supposed to be. That is true riches, not some expensive German automobile that is less dependable mechanically than a Ford Focus. Or, having 15 toilets in your house.

The Bierkergaard Blog just passed its 10,000 page view with nearly 2,000 being in the last month. Since the blog has been online for over three years, it doesn't take me to be a math whiz to calculate that what I share is gaining some significant traction audience-wise. I am not one to rest on my laurels. I know that the audience can be fickle. I just try to just write about things that are important to me, line it up with what the Bible teaches to be good, true, and honorable, and then press the "Publish Post." I take it as a community affirming my take. I would like to see more comments and contributions from my readers. The WE.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream