Where Dreams are Made Of-New York City for Christmas


Heading to NYC on Tuesday night. I am ramping myself up by watching the video Empire State of Mind. Many of my fondest recollections of Christmas and the Christmas season come from New York City. My grandparents lived in Queens. The Christmas countdown officially started in my heart's chronometer when seeing Santa wave to the crowd in the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade. Every precious second...tick, tick, tick till Dec. 25.

In 1968, my family spent a magical Christmas in NYC. My older brother Mike got all worked up that my grandparents didn't have a chimney for Santa to climb down to give us gifts...the adults telling him that they would leave the front door ajar didn't assuage him. He needed a chimney. So, my Opa (kraut for Grandfather) bought a faux chimney mantle piece. My brother was satisfied that met the Santa spec, regardless that there was no actual chimney going up to the roof. I figured chimney or not, Santa could come up with a way to deliver the gifts...I think my take on it was that Santa already had super powers like flying through the air so this minor detail of no chimney was a non-issue.

I proposed to Lina in NYC over the Christmas season, so the good memories keep coming. Although I am a Philly-boy at heart, NYC is a close second. I was there so much as a kid that it was like a second home city to me. Lina and I are headed to NYC for me to attend Media Bistro's E-Book Summit and for her to shop, do her foodie stuff, and hang out. The girl works hard...she deserves it.

The E-Book Summit is top shelf and expensive. Make no bones about it, I am swinging for the fences with my college transition book and I want to have the best batters in business give me their insider tips and insight. There is a difference between brash cockiness and quiet confidence. I pray for the former to decrease and the latter to increase. I know one thing, though. I have to believe in my work...or no one else will.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream