Making a List and Checking It Twice

No, I am not going to write a piece about Santa but I did want to be seasonal. Yesterday, besides bottling my Belgian Quad and doing laundry, I was updating my "Lists." I am an inveterate list-maker. To some, it might look like a manifestation of OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). It is not; it actually something that keeps me from being OCD. You want to see me become a compulsive nail-biting, cuticle pulling, hand-washer? Take away my list-making.

I keep a Saturday To-Do List (Saturdays are the day to tie up loose ends and do work that needs to be done...six days ye shall work type of thing), a Seasonal To-Do List updated every quarter, and a general Home To-Do list of things that I just need to be mindful of...like how much Comcast rates are going up and my desperate quest to find another way to have internet service. I also keep a Work To-Do list at school...alphabetical by task and then student last name. That came quite in handy for my Sabbatical replacement last year. I did not have to remember who or what had to be shared. It was all there in explicit detail.

I read in one edition of "Life's Little Handbook of Wisdom" that I purchased for like two bucks that a short list is better than a long memory. Even more so when I have a long list. I try to free my brain of content information as much as possible to focus more on decision-making. I let the list, alphabetically-organized, be the fodder for my mind to discern its way through and forward. What can I say, it has worked for me. I use word processing to update my lists, although I do keep a log of what needs to be done first as a hand-written document. I pull from there and put onto my typed lists.

God also makes lists...like the Ten Commandments or the Beatitudes (New Testament Commandments). Should be simple to remember b/c they are so hard to practice. That we don't know the Commandments in order, comprehensively, and quickly, is a pretty good indicator that we don't practice them. Even if we do know them, we are drawn by that remembrance, or should be, to confession.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream