Alma Mater

I was reading Chapter 17 verse one of Acts this morning (I want to learn more about Paul's visit to Athens and figure that it is good to look at the precursors to the visit). In the course of my study I read something about the Appian Way (a Roman road). So, I looked up some pictures and text about this ancient Roman road. To say something is Roman implies that the city of Rome figures prominently.

One writer detailed the modern status of Rome in that it is both the capitol of Italy and the central location of the Catholic (i.e. Roman) Church. The writer explained that the term alma mater is Latin for nourishing mother. It should have been obvious to me that Alma Mater had something to do with mother but I never thought about it. The Church has traditionally been seen as a maternal institution (from the biblical perspective)

Makes sense when we consider that academic institutions are called Alma Maters, that is, that they are to be nurseries of the mind, allowing the intellect to grow and be nurtured to maturity. Or, at least that is the goal.

Never sure where some roads are going to lead...interesting (at least to my arcane mind)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream