Ode To The Honda Civic

 


About 4 months ago, the Civic metallic logo was falling off the back of the car. I happened to notice its precarious state before I lost it for good. With my 2007 Civic now having plus 200K miles on it, I debated if it would be better to just remove it, like pulling a tooth from a 90 year old man's mouth that was decayed and loose. I decided to re-attach. No sense in embracing the junkyard vibe yet. 

Putting the logo back on to the car was an act of confidence that there are still some miles to go.

As I pondered the best method for sticking it back on the car, I reflected for a few moments how appreciative I have been to have this car. It has never left me stranded in the 14 years I have owned it. Every time I stuck the key in the ignition, it started. I know it perhaps seems a bit trivial to dedicate this blog to the auto but I have written about less important things. Like my Groundhog in the Garden Wars back in the day.

A car ultimately has to be reliable above all else. In our car culture, an undependable car is a risky card in the deck. Our employment is dependent on getting to work on time without a hitch. I am thankful that my car always got me to work and back. It was one less important thing to worry about. I had a job (I am now retired) that could be very chaotic at times. An undependable car would have stressed me out. 

I'd recommend to anyone, especially those in the market for their first car after moving out on their own,  to buy a trustworthy car.  It will make the transition to independence smoother. Sounds obvious but that doesn't seem to be the top priority of some car buyers. 

I decided to affix the logo back with some shoe goo that is a sticky gel from the get and then dries into a solid state rather than using a liquid glue that would have taken longer to set. The logo also was concave on the inside making traditional glue not the best option. The goo filled in the hollow spaces.  

So, we are good to go. I am excited to see how long it stays on the road. It is all bonus from here forward.     




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream