Espresso Weekend

About three years ago, I splurged and bought a nice espresso machine. As a rule, I am not terribly materialistic. I live in a humble neighborhood of moderately priced townhouses. I drive a car with nearly 200,000 miles on it. I buy most of my beer, admittingly good beer, on the bargain rack (past expiration) or make my own, and do most of my shopping at the surplus grocer. I do have a bit of a weakness for books but I generally read them all.

But, great coffee is truly one of the few luxuries I indulge in daily. I'd say I really like beer but I love coffee. I love the ritual, the taste, the caffeine, the aroma. It is so entwined with my life that it is inseparable from it. I particularly like espresso. It is both lusciously creamy and bitterly strong. No sugar, no dairy or equivalent. The bean itself is sweet and its oil creates the crema, along with carbon dioxide. 

To my shame, the espresso machine, like a piece of exercise equipment that falls into disuse, has been taking up a large amount of my counter space. Inert, not being used regularly. During the week, it is too time consuming but the weekend does have the space to brew. Up until two Sundays ago, I'd only brew on Sundays. That had become somewhat regular. But, grinding and tamping the grounds was messy and frustrating. I did buy a digital scale to get the grams of coffee correct (another instance of me being more measure oriented these days).

Truthfully, I need an espresso grade grinder which runs around $250. I can make due with my Cuisinart almost but not quite burr grinder and the second step of using old blade grinder to make it even finer. Here is the big step that has brought things full circle. Doing the grinding of the beans on Saturday for both Saturday and Sunday (keeping the grounds in a coffee airtight container).    

I am at the point of my life where macro-innovations on my approach to life are rare. COVID has definitely played a compressing role. So, any changes I make are generally  micro-oriented. I take a small but significant joy in figuring out a better way of doing something.  Here is a super silly example. I found a better way to put on a shower curtain ring the other day. It made my morning.

Getting more used to this Google Chromebook has also had all of these micro moments. Just sticking with it and forcing myself to not run back to using my laptop. It is said that the "Devil is in the details." Yet, so is God. There can be immense satisfaction in doing the everyday task well and looking to improve.  

             

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream