One Page At A Time

Back trying again on the Chromebook. I have decided to just type and clean up the spelling errors from typing and the double-spacing at the end. Nothing ever works as planned. I was hoping that my fingers would adjust and become attuned to the overly sensitive keyboard. Nope. I am drinking an ice cold Perpetual IPA as pain killer as I type. What a pain in the ass.  As it is, I think I will be able to understand what I had attempted to type. A macro-clean-up sounds like the way to go. We shall see. Thank the Lord for IPAs.

This Christmas Vacation, I like most everybody (besides the anti-masker crowd) am not driving or jetting away to a cool location, No,  I am  uncharacteristically home for the holidays which is probably only the second time in a decade.  Truth be told, I am really a homebody. I just  realize that there are some cool things out beyond  the horizon so I pretty much  force myself away, like an old school parent tells his kid  to go outside and play. I get very anxious before departing but once I am on the plane, I relax as there is no turning  back. So, Columbia for Christmas it is.

The question is how should I spend my time off?  I have the week after Christmas off from work and that  is more time than I have had off in quite awhile and not traveling. Reading books seems tot be the best plan I can think of. Like a ticket for the mind to travel far and wide through time and space. I feel really sad that most kids these days don't like to read. Our smartphones and technology in general entertain us but not inspire us.  I feel empty after scrolling social media apps, like eating a bag of Doritos. Tastes good and addictive but only dulls the hunger. Doesn't satisfy, Crunching into the abyss, What would Nietzsche say?

Here is my idea for Christmas Break. To finally read and conqueror the Brothers Karamazov.  I have had the book for so long that the pages are brown as wilted lettuce that has  been in the fridge too long. My version of the book comes in at just under 1000 pages, 936 to be precise. Usually I read long novels on my Kindle iPhone app. A page at a time, usually a day. Having it on my phone just seems more doable and less daunting. It sure weighs a lot less.  

I have knocked out about 15 classic novels in the last two years with this strategy.  The BK needs to be a print book though for whatever reason. Like the Russian Winter, I need  to face it in all of its enormity.  I  read half of the first page of the author's preface today so I am off to a fine start. Like getting  the dogsled moving, I say mush and head out into the cold.  

So,  how did the type and then correct at the end strategy work?  OK. Time for a sip of the IPA. Progress. I beseech thee to be forgiving if errors remain..

  

 



    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream