Social Media Triangle

I have the big three social media platforms on my iPhone, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. I am actually in-person friends with 99% of my Facebook friends and knew almost all of them before adding them as friends on Facebook. Twitter is my next most used app, then Instagram. Like almost everyone, these apps have become a part of my life. Too big a part. Hence,  the Social Media Triangle. Feeling trapped in the Triangle and going from angle to angle repetitively. A nausea is usually the result.    

For those of you too young to remember, back in the 1970's, there was a lot of press about the Bermuda Triangle. In these accounts were not just reports of legitimate nautical and meteorological dangers to shipping in this part of the Atlantic Ocean but suggestions that more diabolical forces were at work, not just treacherous water, winds, and weather. As if the Bermuda Triangle was a watery portal to Hades itself. Some region where evil forces lured victims into a triangle of death that once entered would be hard, if not impossible to leave.

A perfect description of social media as far as I see it. I don't think Big Tech is necessarily evil. Naive perhaps of the dark side of its tools when creating them. The idealism is rather shocking for such smart people. A good rule of thumb is that any tool can be used for good or evil. Our collective myths like Pandora and Prometheus tell us as much and being ignorant of them places our shared ship in peril. I am like where are the adults in these companies with all of the Boy and Girl Wonders? Who probably got 1600  on the SAT but are emotionally at chronological age at best and often not. Most of the time, they are alarmingly immature and unwise.

This is not to say that there are not bad actors or even evil on the internet. There are, and they use our technology to some negative end.   

Recently, when I have found myself trapped yet again in the Social Media Triangle, I break the cycle by jumping  to my Bible Hub app. Here, the wisdom of God is delivered at touch of a link. It has really saved me. SOS. A  portal out of the trap. 

Consider John 14:6, Jesus being "The Way, The Truth, and The Life and no one can come to the Father except by me." Very narrow, not very diverse is Jesus. No post-modern guru. A commentator made the observation that Christ is like a beautiful and expansive harbor, but one that has to be entered through a narrow sole opening that is surrounded by rocks. It is secure and safe for the soul's ship as long as we listen to what Jesus says. A lovely illustration.      



     

   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream