Bench II


Well. I said that I'd finish my thoughts about the bench, so here goes. In order to make sense of this, if you didn't read last week, go back and do that first.

Here are some points:

- Good equipment matters. You have to find the right tools to do the job. My old bench press did one lifting movement, the bench press. Every other lifting move was constrained by the arms of the bench. The incline bench does 95% of the lifts I need to do and provides good back support.

- Good technique matters. In the age of the internet, as long as you go to a reputable website, you can glean a ton of information about good technique. Most of it at no cost. Gone are the days where we have to pay to be informed. There is also a lot of garbage. Know enough to know the difference. Get a decent book to start. Chance are, the book has had at least some vetting.   

- Good equipment and good technique, however, do not add a lot to motivation. Some, but if you lack motivation, the best of both won't really help. A person with motivation will make due with limitations in terms of equipment and technique. Although, that can lead to some bad outcomes.   

This morning I wasn't super into lifting. I had a decent reason. I kayaked 14 miles yesterday. Since I am not an avid kayaker, I used muscles repetitively yesterday for four hours. And, I am a bit sore today. Sunday is the third lifting day of the week for me and there are times that I take a pass. But, I am always reluctant to do so. Good habits can be undone by small decisions. But, I did lift.

Just to recap last week as a brief aside, I never had great weight-lifting equipment and technique back in the day. I could have made it work in lifting despite the limitations, using pain as a guide. My bad technique resulted in a bad back and I could have worked backwards to figure it out. I could have also discerned that the bench press was good for one movement. Bench press. Always be willing to question assumptions.

There is always a bit of tension when starting out on a new endeavor...do we buy good equipment that will last and deliver quality or do we go cheap and see if the new hobby or past-time sticks and then upgrade? That is a hard question to answer. My general counsel is seek out someone who has both good equipment and refined technique and pair up with them if possible for several weeks. You'll get to try it out and experience the value of both solid equipment and technique. Then, if it sticks, go solo. Some people like to lift with a partner. I personally don't. I want to do it and get it done, no fuss no muss. None of my lifts require a spotter.  My gym is in my bedroom. COVID-19 proof. There is another lesson: Do for yourself and keep things under your control as much as is possible. Control is somewhat illusory but it is possible to a degree. For example, debt is a bad thing to be under. 

Kayaking Point: I do like to kayak with at least one other person. Water is very unpredictable and dangerous unless you are just doing a float close to shore. Otherwise, have a buddy.

There are a lot of applications to the tool/equipment and technique concept. In spiritual matters, get a couple of good commentaries that have withstood the test of time. A lot of the books in the Contemporary Christian Market have a half-life of a year. The best books last because they express eternal principles and transcend time. That is why C.S. Lewis is as relevant today as when he was alive. We have to forgo our superiority in technology and bow to fine writing about matters that are true of the human condition.

Next week, I might get into some of the lessons about the 14 mile kayaking trip yesterday.         
 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream