Take A Hike


The last couple of weeks I have responded to a paradox that has puzzled me for quite some time. I am a big proponent of resting on Sunday and doing no work unless unavoidable. I have found difficulty however in actually resting. The time tends to become tense because I am alone with my thoughts. And in that empty space, anxiety sprouts like weeds in my Sunday garden. Monday looms like some sort of monster. And I feel its ominous breath bearing down on me on Sunday.

So, I have taken to going for a walk in the afternoon. Not only that, but to take a look at the River from on high. So, it is exercise, fresh air, and a beautiful view, all within 5-10 minutes of my house. For years, I took the river for granted. I was so close that I didn't consider its grandeur. In the words of C.S. Lewis, in The Abolition of Man, it is sublime. That photo above was last Sunday. The River is several hundred feet below.

Because I work out six days a week, I really don't want to rack my body with a another intentional exercise routine. So, I don't push myself. I just walk. The last two Sundays have been really magnificent days weather-wise. Spring is around the corner and it has started to whisper. Fall and Spring are my favorite seasons. I do like Winter although it lingers here in the Northern Hemisphere. From October to March, 6 months in total, it is on the cold side. And, although I like the freedom that Summer affords, I tolerate it as one would forbear the heat of Purgatory. I sweat and feel miserable. Outside of June which has some truly lovely days. July and August are just ugly and if I could cut them out like a tumor, I would. And I will, when I retire and head North for the mountains.Where one can have a fire at night in early August and not resent the heat as it keeps the mosquitoes at bay.

Until then, I shall enjoy my hikes. And feel the sun smile upon my face and the wind carrying me along in its chariot of peace. It is Sunday after all.

I am a writer who specializes on topics related to the college transition, travel, coffee, and craft beer. I  wrote a book about the college transition. 


     



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream