McServant


Well, a little more than a week ago, a Friday, I had a big talk to give. I had prepped for months. Researching the topic with an intensity not equaled by me since Ph.D. studies. The topic was Craft Beer, something that I know a lot about. 

Since I needed to eat quick, I popped into the local McDonald's up the street. I wanted to blow in, grab a Big Mac, Fries, and a Chocolate Shake, and head down to Lancaster City. I am not a frequenter of fast food as a rule. I know that the money adds up over time and I can typically eat better and cheaper at home. Yet, have been eating the school lunches this year as a concession to simplicity, pretty good tasting dishes, and fresh fruit and vegetables, two things that I don't eat without it being spoon-fed. It is easy to grab some salad, broccoli, or some fruit. All for three bucks and change. 

So, while at the McDonald's, things were not quick. I spent about ten minutes waiting for my food, somewhat diminishing my reason for going there. While I was waiting, a bit of a line formed. I think there was a bottleneck with the fries, with the workers having to make another batch. I was getting a bit frustrated yet resigned that there wasn't much I could do to speed up the process. 

An older man (while I am old, he was a senior citizen) seemingly moved to the front of the line, cutting in front of the exiting line. I didn't really want to correct him but I was secretly irritated. Yet, I accounted it as the guy is old and maybe not attentive to the line. So, I let it go. Gandhi. 

It just struck my how funny it is, as we all imagine ourselves as spiritually-minded until someone steps on our toes. Let alone crucify us. I mean, cutting in line by an old man hardly qualifies me for martyrdom when I keep my mouth shut. "Forgive him Father for he knows not what he is doing."

As I looked at him more, I saw that he had his order receipt in his hand. He was just looking for his food. Just like me.     

Philippians 2


5Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus:
6Who, existing in the form of God,
did not consider equality with God
something to be grasped,
7but emptied Himself,
taking the form of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
8And being found in appearance as a man,
He humbled Himself
and became obedient to death—
even death on a cross.
9Therefore God exalted Him to the highest place
and gave Him the name above all names,
10that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream