Road to Destruction and Redemption

Last Saturday I was meeting a good buddy of mine at the local greasy spoon diner. Everybody needs one go-to. To get a breakfast like this beauty:


Sure, a gut-buster...I don't eat like this all of the time. Eh, just most of the time. To brace myself for the caloric ingestion, I decided to walk from my Haus to the diner and back. A round-trip of probably close to three miles. I tend to not work out on Saturdays, so my coffee jitters can be a bit much. I really don't consider walking part of my "work-out" regimen. Just an add-on. But, it did take the edge off the coffee. It was a lovely Fall day. Facing the traffic, I set off on my journey.

It is funny what I see when I slow down. Stuff like this:


Yeah, that sign must have been disregarded as a matter of logic. I loved the irony. Only if the sign could fight back does it really add anything to the empty words. Like a drone strike that defends its perimeter. 

And this:


Might want to hire a professional here....or watch a YouTube video on mortaring. Even duct tape might prove more effective than stacking them as loose dominoes. Bricktectonics.

Or this....


It is possible some drunken or texting OR both looney bird hit both the sign and this wall, that appears to have been built in the horse and buggy era. This is a main drag through town, the old Lincoln Highway, so I am thinking maybe 1850 or so? A horse would get a real shiner bouncing off of these stones.

I am sure I have driven by all of this wreckage a bunch of times before actually seeing the scenes.  I mean, frankly I felt like I was walking through a wasteland.

It wasn't all mayhem. I saw this beautiful scene:


It is like a Halloween Manger. Linus would certainly judge this as sincere (I pity you if you don't get the Peanuts reference).

As usual it got me pondering. Beauty takes a lot of effort and skill. Destruction, relatively speaking, is easy. Any dolt can drive a car in a stone wall or a street sign. So much easier to be a critic than a creator. That's my take-away.     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream