Middle Way



I was in my Porsche driving up to the family cabin in upstate NY last Labor Day weekend . Oh, did I write Porsche? I meant Honda Civic. Easy to mix my cars up. On the drive up, I skirt along the edge of New York City Metro. It is close enough that I feel the gravitational pull of  NYC.

For a country gentleman such as myself, I am not a big fan of big city drivers. Super aggressive, cutting in and out of traffic, blazing at unsafe speeds, etc. Yet, I have driven a lot in Philly, so I have an internal switch that can adjust to the heightened chaos. If I were in Amishland, this manner of driving would stress me out more. But, since it is NY/NJ, I understand that it is just this way and adjust.

My main strategy is to get into one of the middle lanes, reach cruising altitude at a good clip, and avoid changing lanes a lot. So, cars that pass on my left and right can do as they wish. I will stake my middle moving ground and chill. I don't putt along. I am in the flow of traffic.

I have to say that this is more than just my driving philosophy. It is my philosophy on life. I like the middle lane. Although I am as Conservative as they come, I do have a fairly laissez-faire approach to life and other people. We are saved by Grace and not Law. Only God can do that for us. Salvation means to empty ones hands and receive what God has given. 

I am not particularly contentious, unless I am having an online discussion and duel with a Trump defender. Then, I throw haymakers. Otherwise, I want to live a balanced and chill life. To have that peace that passes understanding that God promises when we rest in Him.

The St. Augustine quote of "Our hearts are restless until they find their rest in Thee" was echoing in my head when I was up at my Dad's Cabin last weekend. Amid the food, drink, and fun, I just was keeping in my mind that these things are not the ultimate goal of life, but should be treated as temporal blessings in a world that is passing away. Our home is elsewhere. If we find the world is bothering us too much, we have probably put too much hope in it. 

I read this quote today about how Christ was chill. He spoke truth calmly most of the time with great clarity and conviction: (he was no ranting and ratchet-up-the-rhetoric and razzmatazz religious kook. He was the sanest individual who ever lived).

“Christ was far from morbid exaltation, from the frantic fanaticism characteristic of many zealots and founders of religions. An illuminating sobriety was one of the chief traits of his character. When He spoke about unusual things, when he called people to difficult deeds and bravery, he did it without false pathos and strain. He could converse simply with people at the well or at the holiday meal, and he could pronounce words that shook everyone— “I am the Bread of life.’ He spoke of trials and struggle, and he carried light everywhere, blessing and transforming life.”  

Alexander Men https://christianhistoryinstitute.org/it-happened-today/9/9   
    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream