Sipping the Summer


I know that I have been delinquent on my blogging recently. My Dad called last week because he is my most faithful reader of  Bierkergaard and got concerned that I had croaked or something.

Frankly, I have been in a down-low mode for most of the Summer. Dodging the heat like the Bulls of Pamplona. I get gored every Summer by the twin horns of heat and humidity. One or the other, I can deal with head-on. Both, I have to run and hide. As mentioned in previous blogs here and there, I get a terrible itch every early July that continues until the weather cools. I live for Fall and Spring, and endure Winter and Summer. Although, I like both, they have big downsides. It was cold forever this year. And little snow. Bad combo.

This Summer, I have been a bit more intelligent. I don't go for runs in the mid-day sun with no shelter. I don't wear a hat or bandanna on my head that traps the heat like a coil on the cranium (instead I run or hike in the shade with a towel to wipe away excess sweat), and I have been watching drinking too much coffee which seems to put my my body into overdrive. So far, so good. Only some scant itching. I also have been drinking a lot more water and less beer than in summer's past, which seems to be keeping me more hydrated. 

I have been hiking, running, lifting and biking (some kayaking) earlier in the morning. Outside of physical activity, a lot of  listening to podcasts and reading. I have to confess that I am losing my drive to travel. Besides heading up to Buffalo for several days to see a friend--much cooler up there--I have been content to chill and work at school on schedules. With Bourdain killing himself, it has caused me to want to slow down. Being on the run all of the time costs.

God allows us to see our idols in a darker light as to reveal hidden shadows. 

I used to have a saying back in my early days of adulthood, that "to be everywhere is to be nowhere." I recited that as I traveled hours to events and occasions.  Now, in the back nine of my life, I am happy to be a homebody for the time being. God may have big plans for me. Or not. I am cool either way.

In the meantime, I am enjoying the Wit-Rye homebrew that I made earlier in the summer and is now ready to drink.....I wrote that I was drinking less, not nothing!         

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream