Futbol!



Every year around this time, I have some time off of work. I typically don't travel a lot or long  because I can be called back to work to do the schedules at any time. I am on-call. So, I keep things open and play it by ear. I am thankful nonetheless to relax and restore. Retirement is starting to sound delightful. I am prepping for laying down my labors in a few years.

I want to retire when I am healthy enough to enjoy it. I don't want the highlight of my week to be Wednesday Night Bingo and Friday Tapioca Pudding for lunch. 

One year I watched the Gettysburg Battle series on Pennsylvania Cable Network where Park Rangers and Laypeople talk about some aspect of the battle. The battle happened around this time back in the day so it makes sense to revisit it. I am always amazed that there are so many die-hard devotees to the details of the days about 40 miles West of here.

For a couple of other years, I watched Bourdain on his travels across the globe. I am fairly convinced that he had PTSD. It is not normal in the least to travel internationally so much and then throw oneself into all of the different cultures as one would do into the deep sea. I think he had created an image for himself as a renegade who walked the edge. And, that picture of himself didn't include down time. It is going to be awhile before I can watch these programs again due to his recent suicide.

This year, I have been watching every World Cup Futbol match on Fox Sports. Although I played soccer as a kid--and I will have you know--was the MVP of my 7th Grade soccer team in Junior High, soccer is something that is foreign to me. And most men of my generation. Fortunately, I think the sport is gaining more popularity, and the U.S. Women's team is world-class.

As I watched the games, I began to appreciate the strategic nature of the matches. Although not a high-scoring sport, each goal has value since it doesn't happen all that often.  There are a lot of things happening on the field if we just have eyes to see. I also really appreciate how fit the athletes are. I think for youth, soccer is really a much better sport that football in so many ways. It is less dangerous, requires more fitness, has more spots for players. And heck, most of the world is crazy about it. But, if you want a bone-crushing hit, football has the edge. Shoot, these soccer players are divas in cleats when they get hit or tripped.     

To move this into the spiritual realm, yesterday I was challenged be someone online to show him the last time God acted. As I have mentioned previously, I have a mini-ministry sharing biblical truths online with skeptics. It is calling of sorts. I can do so without becoming mean and abusive. Since I have read and thought a lot, I am bringing that to the table.   

I think he was asking for some miracle like the Red Sea or something dramatic along those lines. I replied that "I guess it depends on your belief system." That is, God is acting all the time. It just may be in subtle and nuanced ways...kind of like a futbol match.  We beg for instantaneous scores and instead, the game proceeds according to His plan.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream