Taos: To and From


Well, flew back from Taos late December 30. It was a nice drive down in the early morning to Albuquerque along the Rio Grande River. When I had driven up to Taos a week before, it was 1:00 to 3:30 in the morning.  I hadn't seen the river to the left.  I was pretty beat arriving at the Bed and Breakfast but bounced back pretty quick and had a great week. The flight back was pretty good except for the boy crying all the way back from Chicago. Assume, from the sound and looks of it, he is on the spectrum.

I like to enjoy myself with food and drink while on vacation. Although, that is not the whole story. I am afraid that my Facebook posts might lead people to conclude that I am just a glutton. I ate enough Nuevo Mexico cuisine to scratch that itch for a year.

First, I am actually fairly moderate in my consumption. I typically know when to stop and say enough. Second, the back-drop to this consumption is a whole lot of exercise. I try to walk everywhere possible. In Taos, where I was staying, it wasn't particularly walkable, but I made it work, walking facing the traffic along the main highway to and through town. It was at least a mile down and a mile back, often more, depending on where I was going. I did that walk the route at least ten times during the 7 days in Taos. On top of that, I went to two different gyms and worked out for an hour both times.

One of the gyms had this above quote on the wall in the weight room. I am a sucker for motivational quotes. Even at my age of 54, I am getting physically stronger. I know that my body will  fail me at some future point of time and I will fall into a decline that is not reversible but it is cool to be fit and over fifty. I have found activities and sports that fit my personality and avoid the win/loss and team competition that became the curse of my younger years.  I compete against myself and don't have to stress about letting the team down. Neither hero nor goat. I have been both in my athletic career.  It is for the birds.

I cut all of that junk out like the cancer it was for me. Basketball in particular became a huge weight for me to carry as a teen. I hated the coach and two other boys on the team. Trust me, they had earned my animosity through their bullying and generally awful behavior. It made me wonder why I put up with the baloney for so long. Ego, duty, who knows. Limping away from it with my gimpy knee was the best thing I ever did even though it took me decades to finally put the basketball down. It is hard to describe what a burden it had become. 

Part of becoming stronger than yesterday is to determine where our efforts can have the greatest impact. For me, it is walking, lifting, biking, walking, and writing. I can become stronger in all of these areas through exertion. And enjoy a plate of enchiladas and a cold beer after it is done.

Off to the Philippines tomorrow. I am sure good cuisine awaits. See you in two weeks or so, Lord willing.     



    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream