Skee-Ball Redemption


The hues of Bliss more brightly glow, Chastised by sabler tints of woe....Thomas Gray

Friday night I was hanging with a buddy at Columbia Kettleworks. There was a elderly No Hablo Ingles Latino gent hand-rolling cigars so I bought a halfie and stepped outside and gave it a smoke while drinking a brew. After about 30 minutes outside, the cold started to sink into the bones, so we went inside. We hung out in a newly-renovated and opened part of the building where there were some couches. CKW: Take note that it would be a fine place for a wood-pellet stove. I might never leave.   

My buddy and I had some deep conversation, including about both of us having post-concussion syndrome from playing rugby which have impaired us cognitively. His seems 100% attributable to rugby, mine is instead rugby, mountain-biking, and another incident where I got smashed by a couple of my high school boys in a tag football game where they got tired of me blasting them like some kind of tough guy in my blocks--and returned the favor with interest. I deserved it. 

After the hit, the PE teacher said that I looked like a baby giraffe on ice trying to get up after the blow. The trainer was not going to let me drive home but I told her I was fine. The next morning though the concussion, like a hurricane, was at full force.  

On the couches, we chatted a bit about our upcoming Libations: Craft Beer Church at Columbia Kettleworks on Thursday, December 8, at 7:00 PM and the message that I am working on....God's good gift of Jesus not under the tree but on it. We decided we wanted to take a look at the rooms where they have been rehabbing. We went upstairs and then decided to see if we could get to the basement where the event was initially supposed to be held. One of the owners instead took us to a couple of first floor rooms. The building is humongous and industrial. 

It reminded me of Jesus telling His followers that in His Father's house there were many rooms. My Father's house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you?  (John 14:2).      

Both rooms at CKW are on the rough side, not unlike a manger. Maybe we can set-up a creche? Craft Beer Creche. Perhaps the rooms will be ready--neat, bright, and shiny--when December 8 comes. Maybe not. Most of the attendees will be dudes (women welcome, though), and we really don't give much of a rip about finery. This ain't no Pampered Chef crew. The guys directly involved in the planning for the event are all from Columbia which is a raw and real place. 

The co-owner gave us a tour of the second room and low and behold, there was a Skee-Ball arcade game! According to Wikipedia, Skee-Ball was one of the first of what is called "Redemption Games."  That is tickets were awarded for one's score. Rolling the balls brought back memories of being back in Ocean City, NJ, in the mid-70's where my older brother Mike spent about ten dollars on Skee-Ball to get enough tickets to redeem them for some cheaply-made lighter with a U.S. Flag on it. Not sure why he wanted a patriot lighter. Probably to be a pyro. 

On Friday night, I rolled with abandon. I didn't take it too seriously. Some people get all-intense when playing a game. Game-Nazis. I did that with basketball. I just couldn't enjoy playing because I had lost a step and a knee. So, I quit it like smoking  and  left it the  ego-ashtray of my past. Likewise, I won't golf because I am afraid that I will become consumed by the tyranny of the little white ball. I don't need any activities that manufacture frustration. 

Philadelphia Eagles take note...unlike some diehard fans whose life waxes and wanes with wins and losses, your bad play amuses me like a cartoon.  I prefer to see a win but have learned to not get too jacked about losses. Whether the Eagles ever win a Superbowl has little do with me. I bet people are still shooting other en masse in Chicago after the winning the World Series. Winning never glows as much as losing's dark shadow.     

I think I probably had rolled about 50 times and then my buddy who apparently has mastered the dark arts of Skee-Ball told me to grab two balls (one in each hand, roll with the right and clench with the  left), close my eyes, take two steps to the left, and then roll baby roll. Man, after letting the ball go, I opened my eyes to see it land in the elusive 100 circle that I had been trying to bag in all of my rolls. I felt like Luke Skywalker being schooled by Obi-Wan in the light-saber warrior arts while blindfolded.

It was a transcendental moment. I was finding joy in the rolls even without hitting the 100 circle but it was pretty funny that I got schooled by a voice of wisdom and nailed it. What were the odds? When we do things for the right reasons, results will come. And if they don't, trust the God is teaching us in the uses of adversity. Redemption was sealed, done deal, when the stone was rolled away.  We can't work for salvation like it is some cheap-ass lighter with our flimsy tickets of works.  Just roll and let the results up to the Lord. 

Eric Bierker Ph.D is the author of "On The Edge: Transitioning Imaginatively to College." A book for the college-bound.     


         


   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream