Resurrection Watch


This Easter morning I went out for my Resurrection Run, where the road is hard but it ends in joy. Nothing quite beats the sensation of stopping. I always just try to focus on the next step yet it helps occasionally envisioning the end and the rest to come. This obviously has spiritual parallels.

I wanted to get the run done early because my Dad is due at 11:00 AM and feasting will soon commence after He arrives. He is making a Leg of Lamb! That was an Easter Dish his Mom used to make, so it is a meaningful tradition and one I remember fondly. I was fortunate to know at least my Dad's parents pretty well being that they lived in New York City and we lived in the Philly 'burbs which is a relatively short drive.

It takes three hours to cook the Lamb in the oven. The Beer Fridge is stocked like a pond with fish to help us occupy the time until Dinner.    

I did a Good Friday run also. These two jogs were the first two in quite some time. With the weather getting warmer and the light lasting longer, I will get into running more. I am hoping to keep hitting the exercise bike three times a week at 5:40 AM (I lift the other days) and add the runs in the afternoon.  I dig working out in the morning because I can get it over with and focus on other things when I get home. But, picking up an  extra run or two would be great.

My watch was also running down so I was due to hit the road. It has a rechargeable battery that requires motion to put power back into the watch. The charge lasts a couple of weeks and I figured that it was low on the charge.

That got me thinking about the resurrection. Deism believes in God, but a God who wound up the Universe and let it be. As such, the Universe is running down. In the distant future, the heavens will go cold and the lights will burn out.

Biblical theology believes that God is the watchmaker also, yet He is more. He can intervene according to His purposes (as in miracles, which according to its very definition, are rare and atypical, but not impossible). Scripture also teaches that the Universe is held together by His power.

When we see God as both outside of Time and inside of Time, it is reminiscent of  C.S. Lewis making the analogy that God is like an Author of a Book. He can pick it up, write, and put it down. Jesus is central to the story yet He is also outside of it. The watch has the same principal working. Time and Space and Matter are constructs of Creation. Energy in  some profound manner undergirds it all, but also infuses it all.

Atheists have to ponder the self-creation of the Universe where Nothing became Everything. If that doesn't break your head trying to compute, you are not thinking hard enough. It takes less faith, but faith nonetheless, to posit that God created everything.

There is still the question of the origin of God. The Bible teaches that He always was, is, and will be. And if that doesn't cause wonder, you aren't thinking about this hard enough either.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream