Turkish Coffee in Toronto



I am back from Quebec. And Toronto.

I spent two days in Toronto with two flights cancelled waiting for Air Canada to recover from the snowy weather. It snows in Canada? Who knew? Air Canada handled the adverse weather and cancellations very poorly.

It was the holiday season. I get it. But from a land where hockey is like a religion, played in cold and on ice, I'd think they would have flying in such weather in their DNA like Buffalo or Minneapolis.

I have learned a valuable lesson about departing from a small airport like Harrisburg International. International is a big grandiose. It has flights to Canada. Sometimes....

If the flight is cancelled on the way back, chances are rebooking ain't going to be easy. With a large airport, massive TSA lines and extortionist parking, and hectic city driving to and from are costs. At a smaller airport, TSA is quick, driving is easy, and parking is still expensive but less challenging. But if the flight is cancelled, that flight is not going to be back for awhile, unlike O'Hare where the flights happen many times a day.

I also learned that if you are checking your bags, it makes sense to also have in one's carry-on bag a coterie of personal hygiene products and a change of boxers, too. The first thing I did when I got home was floss. I had never wanted to floss so bad in my life. I had never thought to have such items in both the checked bag and carry-on bag. Silly me. I thought it either/or.

It was the waiting in the lines to be the most frustrating part. Probably 7-8  hours over 2.5 days. Air Canada made last minute decisions to cancel in both cases. With the first flight, US Customs was also shutting down, but that was Air Canada's fault too because the departure out of Quebec was delayed for over an hour. I am kicking myself because they were looking to bump a passenger or two.

However, I really wanted to get home. Lost $800 on that one...I was hoping to hang out with my Dad and Brother on New Year's Eve but spent it instead at a nice hotel in Toronto at a bar chatting with a Canadian who now lives and works in California (Venice Beach). He was kind of stressing because his girlfriend in Cali was upset that his flight had been cancelled. Nothing he could do. Johnnie Walker joined our conversation.

It reminded me that with relationships of a romantic nature, the consequences of adverse events tend to have much complex consequences. For me, it was a hassle. For him, I am sure some major New Year's Eve and New Year's Day plans were totally screwed. And she wasn't happy. My Dad and Brother on the other hand, could have really cared less. We can get together next weekend and don't need to have a special day to eat and drink and shoot the breeze.  

The first night in Toronto, I lodged in some clean but utilitarian hotel about 5 minutes away from the airport. It was in an industrial area. With time to kill on New Year's Eve day, I searched Google Maps for something nearby besides the Sherwin-Williams paint factory next door. I discovered that there was what looked to be a coffee place about .8 miles away. When I arrived after walking for 30 or so minutes in raw weather, I discovered it was a coffee roasting facility. I was disappointed.

However, I then spotted they had a factory outlet shop which was open! I came in a saw big old 5 pound packages of coffee for sale yet thought better of trying to lug back to the U.S. the package which was about the size of a bean bag. I did eye two smaller bags of specialty coffee. One Greek and one Turkish (finely ground). Then, I was dismayed to learn that they didn't accept American credit cards. The kind lady then just gave it to me gratis and wished me a Happy New Year. I was really blessed by such a simple act of generosity.

I didn't exactly feel welcomed in Quebec, not in any way virulent but just ignored. The Quebec clan sticks to its own and does little to open up to outsiders like me. I felt like an invisible man, which at 6'8" and 260 pounds, doesn't happen to me often. The language barrier was part of it but there was much more going on that just that. So, for someone to extend kindness did a lot to make me feel cared for in some really simple but profound manner. Plus, I LOVE COFFEE!

Jesus speaks of giving a cold cup of water in His name (Matthew 10:42):

And whosoever shall give to drink unto one of these little ones a cup of cold water only, in the name of a disciple, verily I say unto you he shall in no wise lose his reward. (ASV)

The word "little" in Greek can mean physical size but is can also mean one without standing or status. Who tend to be children, historically. And Disciple in Greek means a "learner." I think we can over spiritualize the word Disciple, like it is some type of religious credential. It is not. A learner, which seems to be everyone. OK, maybe not Donald Trump who already knows it all.

Someone thirsty who would learn something about God by the generosity of someone else who is a follower of Jesus, when that Christian extends generosity and kindness freely when there was no compulsion to do so in a legal sense. But, who does it because it is gracious and reflects the character of Creator God. The Turkish Coffee was the cup of cold water. I was the powerless credit cardless one.

I have also decided to be more on the eye for visitors to Lancaster City. They are easy to spot. Usually paying parking meters during non-meter times or walking around with maps or something else that gives them away. Just welcome them, ask if they need a hand with something, or a recommendation for a good meal or drink. Doesn't cost a lot on my end but it has value because it conveys caring, which is inestimable despite the lack of monetary significance. Or, buy them a cup of coffee.

As I am writing this piece, I am listening to a Paul McCartney sweet song titled Somebody Cares on Spotify. What brought this about was a yapping neighbor's dog. When this happens, I put on Sony headphones. Really speaks about this caring for a stranger. I have no clue why I put Sir Paul on....

    Somebody Who Cares
    When your body is coming apart at the seams
    And the whole thing's feeling low
    You're convincing yourself
    That there's nobody there, I know
    I know how you feel
    Like somebody has taken the wheels off your car
    When you had somewhere to go
    Well, it's annoying
    Not going to get very far, I know
    But somebody cares
    There's always someone, somewhere, you should know by now
    Always somebody who cares
    It's happening day in, day out
    Well, you know by now
    Always somebody who cares
    And if you don't know it, how will it find you?
    How will we know your whereabouts?
    But I know how you feel
    I know how you feel
    Like somebody has taken the wheels off your car
    When you had somewhere to go
    Well, it's frustrating
    Not going to get very far, I know
    But somebody cares
    There's always… Full lyrics on Google Play
          

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream