Merci Paris: How Much Blood Is Enough, ISIS?




Colossians 1:20

And God purposed that through (by the service, the intervention of) Him [the Son] all things should be completely reconciled back to Himself, whether on earth or in heaven, as through Him, [the Father] made peace by means of the blood of His cross.

As I was heading to bed last night, I saw that there had been horrific attacks in Paris by Islamic terrorists. 

It was not isolated and random. Preliminary reports suggest that over 24 individuals may have been involved in the attacks. Over a 100 people have died. One of the venues for the attack was at an Eagles of Death concert. Irony indeed, and a very sad one at that. One of their songs is "Don't Speak (I Came To Make A Bang)." Actions speak louder than lyrics. I am listening to their "Peace Love Death Metal" album (2004) right now.  I couldn't think of a more apt description of the ISIS version of peace and love through death and metal. Atonement by attack. A caliphate that kills all opposition that will, if given the final opportunity, kill itself to rid the world of apostates. Last man standing. Bloody. 

I am listening to a charming little tune right now called the Lake of Fire.  "And the flames go higher." God is not mocked you ridiculous punks. Repent.  I had to switch the band and playlist to Barren Cross, an 80's Christian Metal Band that crushed. King of King's is being pounded into my mind as I write...I have to think God has a message with this band playing in Paris for those who have ears to hear. U2 is also in Paris, the show it was to play for an HBO concert (last I heard, is on hold). U2 is about the only Rock Band with the moral credibility to perform in the midst of tragedy, but a time of mourning is necessary and ISIS could double-down and kill at the concert.       

Obama weakly responded to the attacks by saying something along the lines of bringing the guilty to justice. There is no justice in the world, Mr. President. 

Innocent civilians were killed over guilt and grievances not of their making. Unless one wishes to argue about the cosmic guilt of all humanity against God Himself. Or some Geopolitical guilt of the West in relation to Islam. Both sides have enough blood on their hands to paint the world red. Militant Islam has a Death Wish for the world and the shedding of blood will never be enough to slake their thirst. Justice is God's doing. Only He is going to be able to make sense of the mess we have made of it all in the final accounting. Omnipotent & Omniscient CPA.

As I drifted in and out of sleep last night, I played the latter parts of the New Testament audio on my iPhone. I was reminded how often the Bible speaks of blood. It is literally drenched in it from Genesis to Revelation. The first mention of blood is Genesis 4:10 when Abel's blood cries out from the ground after Cain killed Abel. The Hebrew word for blood is Dam which connotes the crushing of grapes and the releasing of  juice. That is a profound reference to the Communion Wine and blood shed by Jesus for the forgiveness of sins. Over 2/3's of the Books in the Bible make at least one reference to blood. I checked it out this morning.

In the Scripture verse at the top of this blog is from the most Cosmic of Books in the Bible: Colossians.  It speaks of Christ's substitutionary death covering the world with forgiveness and remission of sins by the shedding of His blood. The image is an iconic one from Sherwin-William Paints about covering the world. I recalled the image this morning from my many years of painting to put dollars in my bank account to pay for college tuition and living expenses. It seemed to be an apt image.  Painting saved my life in a story much too personal and long to tell here. 

Here is a beautiful and powerful song from Barren Cross, "Let It Go And Let It Die." 

   




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream