The Colored of Water



A glass of water.

Boy, rough week for America. Charleston reminds us that the ghosts of our past are not ghosts. But very real and very frightening. I always wonder why people watch fictional shows with terror on TV...just watch the news. Even good old Lancaster County has week to week new lows in human depravity. We ain't all frickin' Amishmen.

A church with people praying in it should be a sanctuary of peace. Much like the womb. If either are not safe, look the fu#@ out. The gates of Hell have been unlocked.

We make decisions every day as to whether we are going to be hope merchants. Christians of all people should look at darkness and light a candle. It is what we are here for indeed. How do we put hope into our and others' lives when so much of society looks the other way and locks the door?

I never liked the term random acts of kindness. It is the random part. Like we live in a meaningless universe. However, random could also mean impartial, as it should be done for all. A random drawing of kindness where all win. That's cool.

I had the opportunity to do such an act on Friday night. It was amazing the amount of ideology and philosophy of charity that went through my mind in the 1.2 seconds I had to consider my next move.

Let me set the stage:

My buddy and I were chilling in Lancaster City at The Taproom and we were sitting outside. It was a sultry evening. We were enjoying a beer. And shooting the warm breeze. Something about being outside at a cafe drinking a beer with a friend. Really sweet.

A man came by asking for money for a soda. I consider soda the beverage of Satan. No redeeming value at all. Just bad for one's teeth, and everything below. Sugar is the hidden culprit in much of our health problems here in the USA. He was holding a Bible and sweating like he had just finished playing a game of basketball on an outdoor asphalt court. He was Black.

The play was set for me to defer. I don't give when petitioned on the street as a rule, to a White or Black person. But, then I considered that the man was thirsty and a glass of water was hardly him asking me to put him through college. Just a glass of water (I asked him if water was OK. It was). I have been in situations where I have no money where a glass of water from a stranger would have refreshed both my body and soul. Like when I do my runs down to river and back. All I have on and with me are my shorts, shoes, socks, and a key to get me back in my house.

I suppose if I was truly color blind I wouldn't have considered his race. But, think about Colored Water fountains during Segregation. As if having a Black person drink from a White Fountain defiled it. Spread a disease. Well, the disease was not on that side of the water, it was the Well of the Antebellum South.

The guy was entirely appreciative and effusive in his thanks. Frankly, I felt rather ashamed that my simple act of generosity had to be vetted by all of these conditions before I decided to be charitable. Jesus said that anyone who offered a cup of cold water in His name would be blessed. The sole criteria was that they person was thirsty. So simple.

Such acts of charity can also be symbols, an understanding that we are all needy and thirsty. Jesus asks, "Is anyone thirsty?" Well, we all are and I have to think that this thirst makes us all equal.              

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream