Seat of the Scornful



I was hanging out with some old friends on Memorial Day. Earlier in the day, I was feeling sorry for myself because I had no plans to hang-out anywhere. I was to have been at my buddy's cabin mountain-biking but then he got a bad cold and had to cancel. We ride hard and he was at a low ebb.

So, when I got the text invite to the Memorial Day party, I was happy. I almost didn't go, though...I think earlier in the day I was just enjoying feeling sorry for myself. I had got some bad news earlier in the weekend that we weighing on me but I was also sucking on it like a mint, enjoying the sting I suppose. Earlier in the day, I had prayed that God give me something to do...and when he did, I almost didn't go. I decided that it would not be a good thing to pray one way and then do another.

The party was great. Good food, brew, and friends. Not too large nor small. Just right. Goldilocks would have been pleased. As the night descended, a bonfire was lit. The host husband threw this old broken chair on the flames and boy did it burn hot. The picture above captures it I think.

Although I am no pyrotechnician, I think the combo of the hard wood, varnish, and pattern of the backing of the chair with the wood checkerboard grid, allowing both the structure for burning and room for air to circulate, created a heat that almost lit my eyebrows on fire, even from what was a safe distance away before the chair was tossed into the firepit's flames.

I thought about the Scripture verse of "Nor sits in the seat of the scornful." (Psalm 1:1). The seat of the scornful is a hardened place, a crafted chair of anger gone terminal. It burns hot. I have continued to observe that many of us conservative Christians have become increasingly scornful. Granted, it is a stupid and sinful world. Yet, when we see ourselves in the chair of judgment rather than Christ, I have to wonder how long it is going to take before the fire we breathe out will consume us.

Until we choose tears rather than fire, I have to think that God is not pleased. Sadness, it is said, is a pure response to evil. (I think that is a Jack Miller quote?).              

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream