Advent Fire


There are those who hate winter. There are those who tolerate it. And then there are those of us who love it. I love it. Must be my Nordic blood. I have to cycle through the seasons like different courses of a meal. Just when summer provokes my maddening summer itching--an odd ailment that happens to my skin as the summer wears on--the temps start to cool and my body comes back into balance. Winter has its dangers too for me with my vulnerability of catching colds like a frog catches flies. Fall and Spring are respites to the dual bodily dangers.

I think living in California or Florida would parch my soul. Winter brings a needed desolation.

Truly, the best thing about winter is getting warm, something that is taken for granted during the heat of summer. Winter would hardly be appealing if I was cold 24-7. It is only the coat, the blanket, the heater, gloves, and hat, that kindle winter affection. When I attended Millersville University, I lived on the 9th floor of a Dorm Hi-Rise. We all had our own individual adjustable heaters underneath the windows and a lot of us would open the window and crank up the heater to the max, providing cold freshness swirled with heat. Soon, administration put an end to this by placing non-adjustable heaters controlled from central command where one had to protect the meager heat allocation like Oliver with gruel. Still remember seeing Oliver in New York City in December 1968 where Oliver asks for "More gruel, please." That was a magical Christmas Season. I was 5. Christmas is for children.

Last week's blog may have given the impression that I don't love Christmas. I do, I just don't dig the lack of peace that consumerism brings. I grew up about ten minutes away from King of Prussia Mall but hardly ever went there. Valley Forge Park, on the other hand, with its hundreds of acres of preserved spaces, rolling hills, and historical importance, is my favorite place in the world. Stories of the American Revolutionary War soldiers enduring the cold in Valley Force while the British wintered in Philadelphia inspired me as a kid. Comfort can lead to complacency. The crucible of cold.
     
We have a love/hate relationship with fire. In a Promethean paradox, we embrace fire yet also fear it. It can warm our souls and burn down our house. There are theories that humanity advanced because of cold weather. It forced planning in preparation for harsh weather. We moderns pull the milk and bread stunt when we hear of snow coming, some frozen memories in our collective subconscious of the needs for subsistence. I always make sure that I have enough beer.

The picture of the fire above was from a Friday night Christmas party. Real wood, real fireplace. Not that Comcast Fireplace Channel. Digital is cold. The party also featured the playing of vinyl LP's and 45's. Like the crackle of the logs, the pops and scratches of the records reflected an analogue warmth. We also had plenty of food and drink. It was a very festive time and I got into a great conversation with a guy that I didn't know about Wes Anderson films. I shared with him that my Netflix DVD list this summer and fall was one Wes Anderson film after another being consumed like popcorn via the Post Office.

We also got into a cool conversation about my book. I mentioned that the hostess has designed the cover art of the book and one thing lead to another. I have prayed that my book would be like wood in the fire. That the flame would start small but grow over time with the increasing flame of interest. It has not happened yet and may not happen which I am fine with. I have been burned by over-weening ambition and unrealistic dreams and been left with a handful of ashes to show for it--along with the satisfaction of knowing that I did what I thought I was called to do. God can take it from here.

I am still putting the book into peoples' hands...what happens from there...either starting a fire or forgotten. There is an art form to spark interest in ones' work without suffocation. Interest must be bellowed but not blown out. No one likes to be coerced but we can be persuaded.

When the Gospel was announced by the Angels to the Shepherds in the fields, it started a flame that became a fire, bringing both heat and light to a cold and dark world.
       

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream