Sweat Equity, Soul Equity

I have been taking some of my Comp Days from school on Fridays.

We work over the summer for part of the time and then earn a paid day off during the school year. Essentially, we have traded two days of pay for one but then also get a day free. It is fine and the least that we counselors can do to save the District some Benjamins.

If I had my druthers, and I don't, I would generally love to get to work around 10:00 am. That way, I could exercise in the morning, sweat it out, and then not worry about having to ramp up after work to run and lift. So, on these Fridays I roll out of bed around 7:00 am, eat breakfast, do my devotional and praying, drink an extra cup of coffee than usual, then run down to the river and back. That extra cup of Joe is a real kick in the shorts out the door.

Today was fairly temperate in the morning. Around 65 degree with moderate humidity. When the Summer hits, I sweat even before I lace up my jogging shoes. But in the Spring it takes a while, like a car, for me to heat up. One way I judge the exertion is the degree to which my running shirt gets covered by sweat. It starts at the armpits outwards, radiating in all directions, and also begins an upward encroachment from the belly up. The sweat amoebas meet somewhere in the middle. Like Meet Me in St. Louis. Interesting factoid, I was born in St. Louis, the Gateway to the West, and took a ride in the Arch before it was finished.

Today, this was the bodily precipitation:


The last section to get sweated out is where my solar plexus is and I am happy to report that the shirt was officially covered like the earth during the Times of Noah. No dry anywhere. Although it was only at the end of the run that the last dry spot went under. I was careful to not manipulate the perspiration by rubbing my face when I saw dry island. A run that doesn't cause me to sweat really is not doing me a whole lot of good. Sweat is the body's way of addressing strenuous effort. Sweat Equity is a term used by Habitat for Humanity which is the agreement that the future owners of the home have to work on it along with the volunteers.Here is the lesson. When you sweat for something, it means that you have sacrificed something. And that sweat leads to soul equity. If you ain't sweating, you ain't sacrificing. Things too easily attained are too easily lost. 

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream