Luther Speaks, Then & Now



“Since then your serene majesty and your lordships seek a simple answer, I will give it in this manner, neither horned nor toothed: Unless I am convinced by the testimony of the Scriptures or by clear reason (for I do not trust either in the pope or in councils alone, since it is well known that they have often erred and contradicted themselves), I am bound by the Scriptures I have quoted and my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not retract anything, since it is neither sale nor right to go against conscience. I cannot do otherwise, here I stand, may God help me, Amen."

On this date in history, Luther appeared before the Diet of Worm and the Emperor, to either recant or reaffirm his writings. He had asked the previous day to have the night to consider his response. The above paragraph is his concluding statement.

I have been recently listening to a Podcast about the History of Rome from its inception to destruction of the Empire. I have been amazed to see the parallels to the United States in how Rome based its power on the Legion, while it slowly decayed within from being a Republic ruled by Oligarchs into an Imperial Dictatorship of the Caesars. The populace, debased and craven, clamored for Bread and Circuses. These days substitute Cable and Chips.

It was into this ancient world that the Church was born through the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. In the religious sphere the Conservative Pharisees (moralists) and the Liberal Sadducees (secularists) were arch-enemies strangely united on one issue alone--that Jesus must die. Jesus spoke of His words never passing away. How could they, being eternally true and being the embodiment of His person?

These days, both Conservative and Liberals discount the words of Jesus. Many Conservatives don't take the Bible literally any more the Liberals. Jesus upsets the tables of both the Corporate Hegemonics and Governmental Leviathans. I pray for the third way of neither being a self-righteous moralist nor a secularist, who have no basis for morality beyond the grave, which leads to compromise and utilitarianism.

We all like to attack the other side in an effort to add credit to our own account. That is not how the kingdom works. Another man's sin in no way lessens my own. God does not grade on a curve but the Cross. We are all guilty and only saved by Grace.      

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream