Beauty & Brokeness


Just returned from the land of sunshine and little lizards. Sarasota, Florida. Little scurrying lizards are everywhere. Being a Pennsylvania boy, something is quite unnatural to me to be sporting shorts and a tee-shirt in late December, At night, no less--as well as seeing lizards skirt about.

It feels like a different planet. Florida is as flat as a sizzling on the skillet pancake and the roads are linear and square.

One feature of Florida that I do quite enjoy is the ability to run without layers of clothing and gloves in "winter." Here in the Northeast, it takes a double-commitment to run in the winter months. Hard enough to get motivated and that much harder when it is freezing cold.  I almost felt like a nudist streaking about scantily-clad on my 8 mile trek to the beach and back, made two miles longer by my inability to find a public access path to the ocean. Those condos interlock like Lego's and keep the non-1% pieces people out.

After one of my exercise routines, I hit the hot tub in my mom's back yard and cracked a beer. I peered beyond the screened in porch that keeps the tropical bugs out and saw these orange leaves on a palm tree (I think it was a palm tree). I wondered if this was a "Fall in Florida" type of deal. I left the soothing waters of the hot tub and walked out back to examine why the leaves were orange. I discovered that the branch had snapped from the tree trunk and was in the process of dying.

I have become more inquisitive of late. I am developing a tendency to try and look deeper into things and not ask only what but why.

There was a poignant beauty in this burst of color. Rather than a collapsing into decay quietly, the leaves go out boldly and blazing. It made me sad yet also happy. God has given the leaves an opportunity for a final expression of beauty. We often view God through various lenses familiar to us. Lawgiver, Father, King, etc. Yet, leaves like this remind me that God is also an Artist.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream