Your Mow What You Reap


Matthew 6:34

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Wednesday afternoon was over 90 plus degrees here in Pa. Summer is going out swinging yet I am happy to note that premonitions of Fall are in the air despite the up-and-down tug of warm versus cold. Fall is my favorite season. Summer's heat mellows into a melancholic brew of warmer days and cooler nights. If Pennsylvania had a thermometer, I'd set it on this cycle.

Friday night I was drinking a couple of beers with a couple of buddies (literally two beers and two friends) outside of a local establishment. It was cool and breezy and I finally felt summer being exorcised from my bones. I was enjoying an Imperial Pumpkin Ale to celebrate the cooling.

I get this odd itch over the summer where I can't shower without causing an outbreak of itchiness all over the top half of my body. Like a Plague or being attacked by Siberian mosquitos. It's bad. So, I can't wait until I can shower with no reaction. I figure it is the water and chlorine stripping essential oils off my body. I even avoid using soap except for the armpits and other critical zones. I find hydrating helps but it doesn't eliminate the causation.

Another thing I look forward to with the cooling of temperatures, is no longer having to cut the grass. It stops growing--as artificial turf. Stationary. But, we are not there yet. It has been hot and rainy recently which is like steroids for the grass, leading to my puny Lawnboy mower choking on the clippings like a 90 pound weakling on the beach sputtering out sand from the bully's foot. It makes what is usually a 15 minute mow at least twice as long. Closer to 3X.

So, Wednesday night, I was facing a calculus of sorts. Wanting to go for a run and to mow my grass--but it being an oven outside with it needing to cool of a bit before hitting the run, backed up against the ensuing darkness. I had to mow because I knew that the earliest I could get back at it would be  Friday night and I surmised that I would be beyond the tipping point and having to do the mowing and stalling routine. I was right. My neighbor who mows with about the same regularity as I spent a good chuck of an hour yesterday mowing her back yard because of the length of her hippie-like hair of a lawn. She now no longer mows our shared grass up front pretty much expecting me to do it--and I do. We are fenced in the back making it clear who does what. I like fences. As Robert Frost said, "Good fences make good neighbors."    
 
I was finishing up mowing up on Wednesday night in the darkness feeling like a blind barber. The next day I observed tufts of grass not sheared down. Yet, I had mown in time 98% of it. There is a moral to the mowing. Do what you can when you can and do not delay. For, tomorrow or the next day, the grass is still there, just longer and more difficult to deal with. Do, don't delay.

A big part about not worrying about tomorrow is working on it today.        

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream