Blood Stained Life



Hebrews 9:22

In fact, according to the law of Moses, nearly everything was purified with blood. For without the shedding of blood, there is no forgiveness.

Last week when I wiped out mountain-biking I split the heel of my hand (you know, below the thumb and above the wrist). I also nearly broke my wrist so I had to ice it down immediately after ending the ride.

Because I was in mid-ice, I didn't want to bandage the wound quite then. When I left my buddy's house and drove a half-hour home, the wound was uncovered. When I got back into a lighted environment, I was chagrined to see a good deal of blood on my body and clothes from the wound. It wasn't like pints and pints but enough to cause me to wash off and then scrub my clothes for a good half-hour. And, also bandage the wound.

Jesus had wounds on his head, hands, side, feet, and his back. In other words, he bled all over. I think there is spiritual significance in this:

- The head is the source of our thoughts. Do we keep Christ in our thoughts as we go about our days?

- The hands signify work. Do we do our work to glorify Christ or are there other lesser gods motivating us?

- The feet denote where we go. Are we making the destination of our life to know Christ and to make him known?

The wounds on His side and back I think generally speak to the trials of the world. When we carry our crosses we eventually have to die on them. I don't think Jesus's listeners missed the line of thinking to Golgotha.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream