Don't You Weary


"And a MAN shall be as a hiding place from the wind, and a shelter from the tempest, like streams of water in a dry place, like the shadow of a great rock in a weary land." (Isaiah 32:2)

Perhaps the most predominant condition I grapple with is weariness. I am not speaking only of physical or mental weariness. It is much more a spiritual condition. Not much changes in the world. Same old world, same old me. Living in the rut.

Others may struggle more with anxiety, fear, hatred, lust. Not me as much. I just get tired sometimes. A deep in the bone tiredness that wishes heaven were a giant bed. I fear hell but not non-existence. I worry about eternity and hope that there are times to rest. Nothing sounds as frightening to me as endless work. Work without end in a world without end.  

Jesus says I will:

 Mt 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Mt 11:29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

Although Paul uses a different word for rest than is employed in the Gospels, the meaning is sort of the same. It means shelter, a tent. Make sense because Paul was a vocational tent-maker:

2Co 12:9 And he hath said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my power is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

And both a fearful warning and lovely promise:

Rev 14:11 and the smoke of their torment goeth up for ever and ever; and they have no rest day and night. Imagine never being able to rest? Yikes.

Rev 14:13 And I heard the voice from heaven saying, Write, Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from henceforth: yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labors; for their works follow with them. Works follow them, not ahead but behind. I like that thought.

The Waterboys have a lyric in their song "A Rock In A Weary Land.":

And whatever needs to happen, let it happen, let it be, through all I am protected, grace is effected over me



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream