Sober-Minded



James 1:17

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.

I promise, only a couple more posts about Appendix-Apocalypse.

I had to not drink beer or other spirits for 21 days post-surgery. Blessedly, coffee was still OK. I limped along liquid-wise and waded through the high waters of the recuperation without being swamped by infection. Both the surgeon and the pharmacist warned that the anti-biotic Flagyl and Alcohol were highly antagonistic. Like Wives and Mother-in-Laws. Cats and Dogs. Muslims and Muslims (to be fair Christians and Christians).

So, me being the obedient patient, took the Flagyl like clockwork and kept the beer in the fridge. No trying to skirt the rules. Total abstention. It was the longest time I had been beer free since my conversion to Christ where I had to totally get off the track of the drinking cycle for years to establish more moderate consumption habits. So, it was good medicine to be on medicine and to leave the beer unconsumed.

I bought some seltzer and reasoned that it really didn't taste much different than Bud or Miller. Plus, I ripped off some gorgeously rich belches. Yet, I was longingly envisioning a return to the brew after my hibernation. Last Friday, I drank some Dogfish Ale which is the maestro of microbreweries. Last night, I enjoyed some Guinness. It is good to back in the land of liquidity with good friends and food. I have been appropriately reminded of both the inherent goodness of God in His gifts yet also reacquainted with the process of the value of stepping away for a time.

Thomas Paine said "What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value." And I, good sir, will have a beer.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream