To Pee or Not to Pee

Luke 16:21

and longing to eat what fell from the rich man's table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.

Yep, I am getting a lot of mileage off of my emergency surgery of the ruptured appendix. I promise, it should only last through 2013. Joking, just joking.

I know that it is probably uncouth to take about urination in such a lofty blog as this. Why, with all this talk of theology, better suited to smoking pipes and blazer arm patches. But keeping it real. Jesus peed.

I was so full of infection, chemicals, pain killers, and etc. after surgery that I was caught in one of the most terrible Catch-22's imaginable. I had to pee but it felt like I was urinating glass fragments. So it was "Go" and then "Oh, No." I trickled into the jar mere drops and then gave up after two ounces. I rolled back into bed with a slightly less full bladder only to have to go through the excrutiating process of sitting up, standing up, and then trying again in 30 minutes. Knowing full well that pain, extreme pain would follow.

I am surprised Dick Cheney had not thought of it.

Illness and then healing has a profound affect of reacalibrating our appreciation index. I know that there are those that suffer without succour for years. Their life station is a hard one and may never get better. Like Lazarus who is mentioned by Jesus who had dogs licking his sores night and day. Starving, with dogs licking your sores. Not fun. So, I am trying to keep from pretending like an appendix removal, although serious, could have not been much more serious and deadly. Like cancer.     

Yet, now I can pee freely and without pain. Something that just a little over a week ago made my privates feel as if on fire. There is so much we take as givens that are givens in the very real sense that they can be taken away. And, our appreciation should be appropriate. And give us a heart for others who are hurting. Pain can be quite selfish or about the best antidote to selfishness imaginable. It is all about our response.  

Lazarus, in this story, dies and goes to by the angels and Abraham's side while the rich man also dies and is suffering the torment of hell for his callous disregard for the pain of those less fortunate while he was aliving and thriving in the world. Pain that he could have lessened and instead looked away.

The rich man cries out, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.' Yes, this is Jesus speaking of Hell. Take note Annihilationists and Hell-deniers. 

I bet the rich man had to pee like hell too. And couldn't.
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream