Skillet Soul


Friends gave me an iron skillet. It reminds me of the one we had as kids. Could knock out a charging Great Dane with one swing.

For several years, I used non-stick Teflon pans. Then, thought better of it. Who knows what they were leaching. Then, I used a steel pan with Pam spray but then considered that I was probably ingesting whatever caused food not to stick on the pan. It was some nasty sounding compound. Not food-based.

So, I made a full circle back to the skillet. Now, I used butter or olive oil to grease the pan down.

A particularly cool feature about an iron skillet is that the whole pan gets hot when it sits on the stove. The thing conducts heat very efficiently. One of the features of it getting hot, is that it kills the microbes that might be lurking in the pan so it is not necessary to wash the pan after every use. Just wipe it clean and let it sit on the burner for a good thirty seconds on high before cooking the next dish and bugs be gone. It saves all the washing up and if one uses sufficient oil, clean-up is a snap. The heat makes it like an autoclave. I have been using it for over a month following this process and no food poisoning yet.

I see a parallel with this pan and a soul. When we are hot with God's presence, sin gets burnt out of us. It literally has no surface to breed. Reading the Word, praying, being in Community, purifies our souls and it works outward to our members. Love is the fulfilling of the Law.
 

    

Comments

Sara said…
Hi Eric -- I applaud the idea of creating a safer home, and because there's so much misinformation out there about the Teflon® brand, I'm not surprised that you are concerned. I'm a representative of DuPont though, and hope you'll let me share some information with you and your readers so that everyone can make truly informed decisions.

Regulatory agencies, consumer groups and health associations all have taken a close look at the Teflon® brand. This article highlights what they found -- the bottom line is that you can use Teflon® nonstick without worry.

http://www.fluoropolymer-facts.com/PFOA/content.cfm?ItemNumber=4137&navItemNumber=4040xxx

I'd truly be glad to share additional information about it if you are interested, and appreciate your consideration of this comment. Cheers, Sara.
Eric Bierker said…
Thanks for comment. I am happy to provide the opportunity for feedback. When in doubt, don't is my motto. http://www.organicslant.com/0000059-teflon-and-non-stick-cookware-dangers.html.

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream