A Laptop Life

I have been jettisoning a lot of my possessions in preparation for my impending move. Like a man throwing cargo overboard in the storm, I have discovered a profound sense of freedom. Being in the Digital Age helps. What used to be material is now electrical (Spotify, Kindle, etc).
 
Moving reminds us of the transitory nature of existence. Our possessions give us the impression of permanence, all the while both they and us are passing away, a little more each day. It can be imperceptible because the interval is small, like the small hand of the clock. Over time, seconds become hours, days, months, years, and a life. A crack becomes an abyss.
 
I recall my last move when I transported my Desktop computer. With all of the wires, dust, and bulkiness (the monitor itself was the weight of a bowling ball), it was a major operation to unplug, move, and plug everything back in. The wires alone looked like a pasta bowl of tangled strands, with dust bunnies trapped, as if in barbed wire. Now, I gaze upon my laptop with its lightness, and its easy in-and-out plugs. Like a NASCAR pit crew, I can get it in and out within a minute.
 
I desire to obtain the flexibility, accessibility, and transportability, of my Laptop in my personal life. Where I can pick up, plug in, and perform purposeful tasks, not frittering away my time in the Wastleland (to cite T.S. Eliot, "A heap of broken images, where the sun beats") of a culture in decline, but helping to redeem the barren Digital landscape with words from the all-wise God.    
 
Romans 16:27
 
All glory to the only wise God, through Jesus Christ, forever. Amen.   
 
 
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream