Cut to Confession


So, today I decide to do a little trimming of my hair with the clippers. The right side was good, the left side not so good. Nothing like this above though...I had the good sense to stop. I am thinking that attempting to cut the hair with the right hand on the left side created an odd angle. The barber has the ability to change his body position, arm, and hand in reference to the individual's hair he is cutting. I didn't and I think that the angle just was not a good one. I swear that I don't do dumb stuff just so I have things to write about. Blog or no blog, the errors would continue unabated. I am a natural. Drives my perfectionistic wife nuts. However, she tried to cut my hair one time and uncharacteristically messed up. I remember the clippers skidding on the back of my head like a car in a wreck.

Today, I just had some extra time on my  hands, the gray hairs were showing, and I had bought some new clippers that had the necessary but not not sufficient attachment. The sufficient part was my lack of skill.  Idle hands are the Devil's barbershop.

Like I said, I stopped. Time out. Whoa. I thought to myself, "I am going to a church on Sunday to talk about our church mission." I am not sure I wanted people thinking, "Dude looks like he cuts his own hair--and poorly." I felt that would be a poor witness. Plus, I am heading out to Chicago to see the family next Wednesday for a week. Better to get it fixed rather than wait and see if it recovers. It was at a point where the hair could have grown back enough but why take chances. My family would have had great fun with that one, being the supportive clan that we are and everything.

So, I looked at the local barber's hours. Open! He is right around the corner. There was still 45 minutes before closing. It is Friday night, probably not a lot of people waiting for a hair cut. I hopped in the car and confessed to him what I had done. No sense in hemming and hawing. Get it out there. Come clean. Confession is good for the soul--and the hair. I did wait until the prior customer was on his way out before opening my mouth. I like my barber, he runs a one man shop. He cuts my hair well with clippers which some of the people who go to the modern cosmetology schools really don't get enough training on. One time I was at Holiday Hair and the girl was even worse than me with clippers and I had to order her to stop like a cop does to a criminal mid-cut and sat there waiting until a more seasoned stylist took over. "Put down the clippers and raise your hands above your head." She probably could have given me a nice perm though.

There are all kinds of lessons here. If one is headed down a destructive path, it is sometimes easy to think that we might as well keep going. It ain't that bad. Denial. Or, attempt to correct the problem that we have created with further damaging action.  How about just stopping before it goes from not good and fixable to too far gone? Repentance is like that. The sooner we repent, the sooner we get back on the right path. Or get the right cut. My hair looks great and it is even better now that it is shorter being that it is going to be over a 100 degrees here this weekend. Plus, the barber had restocked his Tootsie Roll Pop jar with a few grape flavored ones and I copped one on my way out. No worse for wear...lesson learned.



    





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream