Making Excuses


I have a frustrating habit of explaining why I make mistakes. Rather the just admit that I was mistaken, I go into more detail. The anatomy of an error. It is good when we can reflect on ourselves without outside correction and I noticed my tendency to get into these situations without someone actually pointing out my proclivity to generate an explanation, more often an excuse, for an error I have made. I can be defensive. I have many good qualities but this is not one of them. I am sure others have noticed the pattern.

I am attempting to cut to the chase when I blow it. Today I did so in an email with no explanation.  

Own  up that a mistake was made and move on. Most people are more than willing to let mistakes go but belaboring them magnifies their lasting impression. Confess, close the circle. James says as much when he writes, "Confess your sins to each other." Although my mistakes are not always sin, some are. But the spirit of openness required is the same. Don't make excuses. Own up.  



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream