1/4 Irish & Proud of It


Boy, I thought I was being a clever boy. 1/4 Irish, I went looking for a one leaf clover on the Web. I found this above. I also found a band called "One Leaf Clover." Jeez, it is so hard to be original in the Internet age. Back in the day, if you and the dudes said something innovative out back, there was no checking the web. Just you and your buddies cackling in the glow of assumed originality. Now, someone has beat you to the punch. It happened all the time before but we never knew it. Adding an Amen to the writer of Ecclesiastes who writes that "There is nothing new under the sun." Not even a one leaf clover.


On YouTube there is a music video posted of Metallica's "No Leaf Clover" song but someone incorrectly titled it "One Leaf Clover." It doesn't even appear to be the right song. Here is a cool rendition of the tune with orchestral backing. "The soothing light at the end of the tunnel being a freight train?" Boys, lighten up. Metalheads are Germanic....grim, worshiping the god of power Wotan. Hitler himself in 1915 penned this prose praise to Wotan:


I often go on bitter nights
To Wotan's oak in the quiet glade
With dark powers to weave a union -
The runic letter the moon makes with its magic spell
And all who are full of impudence during the day

Are made small by the magic formula! 


Not me, give me the God of St. Patrick...the wondrous and beautiful Creator.


I summon today all these powers between me and evil,
Against every cruel merciless power that opposes my body and soul,
Against incantations of false prophets,
Against black laws of pagandom,
Against false laws of heretics,
Against craft of idolatry,
Against spells of women and smiths and wizards,
Against every knowledge that corrupts man's body and soul.
Christ shield me today
Against poison, against burning,
Against drowning, against wounding,
So that reward may come to me in abundance.

Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me,
Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down,
Christ in the heart of every man who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of every man who speaks of me,
Christ in the eye that sees me,
Christ in the ear that hears me.

I arise today
Through a mighty strength, the invocation of the Trinity,
Through a belief in the Threeness,
Through a confession of the Oneness
Of the Creator of creation

St. Patrick (ca. 377)

Read more:http://www.ewtn.com/devotionals/prayers/patrick.htm#ixzz1pKO6wSRg





   


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream