Harry Potter Superstar


I bought Lina the Blu-Ray set box for the Harry Potter series. We have been watching the movies each night while on vacation. Actually, I have been pretty much dozing through large segments while Lina and the other couple have watched the films into the wee hours. I am an early riser and just can't create a sleeping schedule that varies. I wish my sleeping could be like the iPhone alarm clock where I could set a differing sleep agenda daily.

The first rationale for the gift was that I needed to find something for Lina. Pure necessity. She is a movie person. Her last preoccupation with Lord of the Rings was running thin after about a decade of infatuation, topped off by her visit to New Zealand last Fall. Pixar's offering of Cars 2 just wasn't worthy. Thus, Harry Potter became the obvious choice. I have staved off gift-giving legions for another year.

Over a decade ago, my students at school began to talk about Harry Potter. Since then, I have been pretty much on the periphery with both the books and the films. I have listened to a few talks about Harry Potter, read some cultural pieces about its significance. But, I have not partaken as a rule. More snacking than a full-blown dinner.In my tasting thus far of what I have eaten, I recognize the incredibly imaginative elements of the series. What makes Harry Potter great is what makes all such works great: Characters, friendship, trials, suffering, good versus evil, suspense, etc. Cool special effects too.

The debate within Christian circles about the pros and cons of Harry Potter have created a cinematic equivalent of Blue States versus Red States political divisions. On the con side, witchcraft and divination are expressly forbidden in the Bible. There is no hemming-and-hawing that can shake this concern. It sticks like sword. I get concerned that more Liberal believers act as if this is not relevant. Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live, Saul's divination detour, the burning of magic books in Ephesus. etc., etc, etc.
 
H.P. is a world where Jesus is not relevant and that is quite problematic. Showing evil is essential. Yet, more essential is to present evil's only remedy. Harry Potter did not die for you...

On the pro side, Harry Potter does not use his magical gifts for self-aggrandizement from what I have seen thus far. A few piggish characters have gotten what they had coming and then some through supernatural ass-whupping by Harry, but this can be argued as just desserts for the craven souls in question. Otherwise, the wizardry is confined in confronting real evil. Fighting fire with fire.

Harry Potter takes evil seriously. Although, Harry Potter so far (through the first two films) himself seems to not fight against using his gifts for his own wicked ends as an experiential possibility 24-7--and that makes the series weaker in its premises than either Narnia or Lord of the Rings, where evil's deceptive allure is always creeping at the door of the main characters' hearts. Harry seems to be more pure than could be expected, but the murder of his parents by Lord Voldemort makes him perhaps much more wary about the ends of evil than most. And, I don't know if evil will become more seductive to him as he matures and the series continues. Jesus didn't face His first major temptations until He was around 30 at the commencement of His ministry.

I would not have bought the series if I thought it was not redemptive. I wasn't that desperate for a gift as to cross the line of conscience for convenience sake in my Christmas shopping. The universe that Rowling created expresses deep truths about existence and if she had not had a full sway of literary tools, her work would not be so compelling. Wonder is as water for thirsty souls and Harry Potter has slaked the thirst of a generation. If we are going to be critical of Harry Potter, we had better present a more compelling and cross-centered narrative through our actual lives. This is where all stories ultimately become real...

                     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream