Is It Lawful to Buy Seltzer on the Sabbath?

Years ago, I pretty much cut out soda, because of the excessive sugar, saccharine, or Nutrasweet. As bad a sugar is in 12 oz soda doses (and it is bad), the two other lab manufactured sweeteners are even worse. Sugar should be a treat, not a mainstay of a diet.

The elimination of soda was an easy way to enhance health and save money...a hard to beat combo. Into the liquid vacuum, came plain water and more recently seltzer.

In the warmer and hot weather in particular, I drink about 1 chilled quart a day. The seltzer is great after working out. The carbonation gives it some bite and it has natural flavoring and no calories. We go through the bottles pretty quickly as a result. It also helps me to not drink a lot of beer.

Despite my recent posts about beer and even having a beer blog, I drink less beer than the average American male. I do drink better beer, but less of it. So, all of this to say, we ran out of seltzer a couple of days ago, and the way this week was looking with graduation activities at school, the earliest I would be able to get down to the Distributor to was Friday. It is pretty quick 15 minute drive down, but it is one of those trips during some times of day or night that can morph into 30 minutes each way.

I struggled with going down to get the seltzer as I am one who takes the day of rest seriously. I don't even like getting dressed up for church and wearing a tie. It makes me feel like I am at work. And, sitting in Sunday School makes me feel like I am in class. All things that run counter to my idea of Shalom (Peace). In the end, I bought the seltzer with a clear conscience....knowing that drinking it brings me refreshment. Which, from what I can tell, is one of the purposes of the Sabbath.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream