Man vs. Machine

In a battle reminiscent of John Henry man versus machine, I beat my neighbor who was using a snow blower to clear his driveway versus me with only a shovel in hand--on comparably-sized driveways. I finished first by a minute or so.

Of course, I started 40 minutes before he did. And, I didn't drop over dead like John Henry...demonstrating aptly the futility in fighting against technological advances.

I like shoveling snow. It is a good work-out. I need to make sure that I do sit-ups within ten minutes of finishing though so my back does not go into spasm. Matter of fact, I am going to do this right now. I'll be back...

Ah, that is better. 40 sit-ups and then twisting right and left, basically self-chiropracting. Cracking starting and the top of the spine downward like falling dominoes. Little concerned that my lower back did not crack. That could be trouble. May have to do another 40 sit-ups. A sit-up in time saves nine plus spasms that can last for days like aftershocks from an earthquake.

I have to wonder if all of our machines divorces us from the value of hard work and the effort it entails. With Americans being terribly obese and unhealthy, more manual labor and less machine dependence would be a good thing. Save the machines for the blizzards, dinner parties (dishes), and blog postings.

Ecc. 2:24

There is nothing better for a person than that he should eat and drink and find enjoyment in his toil. This also, I saw, is from the hand of God

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream