Ask for the Moon, Settle for 1/4 of It

I am a big believer in just doing something rather than nothing.

Let me explain. We are told a lot to dream big and have a vision for our lives. While generally good advice, it can also be intimidating. Where do I start, how long is this going to take, will I succeed or fall on my face? Ah, forget it. Let me tidy up my rut rather than try to climb out of it.

Dreams demand a lot and wishes weigh heavy. Prayers come at a price. Resolutions can lead to dissolution, then to depression.

Maybe it would be better to see goals as moving in the right direction versus some over-arching triumph. For instance, this morning I woke up early at 5:00 am. My body pretty much gets me up around 5 no matter what. Doesn't really matter what time I fall asleep. I wish I could adjust my internal clock like the I-Phone alarm clock for those days of the week where I am not off to work. No such luck. Sometimes I can get to 5:30 which is sleeping in for me.

Fortunately, my body cooperates with compensatory napping...

So, I laid in bed. My left knee, as usual, was aching. I pondered how long I was going to do nothing. Nothing new on the ceiling to ponder so why stare at it? Then, I decided to go for a walk outside for forty minutes. The good thing about waking up so early to walk is that I can really get my whole body moving with my arms pumping without looking like a fool in the mid-day sun, gyrating wildly like I am having a seizure. Think cross country skiing with no snow, skis, poles, or boots. Like the Air Guitar.

The moon was in its first quarter and joined me on my way and kept me company.

Ps 89:37

It shall be established for ever as the moon, And as the faithful witness in the sky. Selah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream