Ring My Bell

At the beginning of the growing season, I was in K-Mart returning some goods and saw that K-M had some Pepper plants for sale. Well, they were labeled "Bell Peppers"...you know the one's that look like a bell and are a staple at every grocery store in the U.S. That's them.

Turned out that the Bell Peppers are not. Before the actual pepper appears, pepper plants can look sort of the same to the untrained eye. It was cheap...

Instead, they are these long Dr. Seuss-like fingers of royal burn-your-shorts peppers. I guess I should have suspected the K-Mart might screw-up. They are not exactly known for their market-savvy. Yet, it was convenient and I was not in the mood for shopping. When they began to grow, I wasn't sure what I was dealing with...

Instead, I got a Franken-Pepper. We are thinking that the variety was cross-bred between a JalapeƱo and a Bell in the jungles of Honduras. Here is the kicker. Originally, I wanted the Bell peppers for salsa as we also have tomatoes growing in the garden. But, these peppers won't work in salsa...the tomatoes will get beat up like the fat kid.

So, I have to make hot sauce...what choice did I have? These peppers, like an Uzi, are good for one thing. Annihilation. So, I modified a recipe that I found on allrecipes and threw in a couple of ingredients not in the recipe and pureed the combo after saute-ing and boiling to release enough of the heat and to get the ingredients to cooperate and play nice with another. Half-Jalapenos, Half-Freak Peppers.

Now, I am on a mission to discover what the name of these peppers are....I am wondering if there is an App for the I-Phone like Shazam where I take a picture and it tells me what it is. Every food in creation is good. This whole incident reminds me of Grace. Unexpected, unanticipated, even not in line with what I thought. Yet, I am so appreciative.

You can ring my bell ell ell, ring my bell. My name for the hot sauce?...Whup Ass.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream