Mowing Over Some Thoughts

No, I am not mulling over some thoughts...I am mowing. Recently my 1982 engine Lawnboy mower had some issues with starting. So, I took it to the shop. I did not realize that it was that old. I had bought it used several years ago. This baby is a classic. Like a DeSoto. I grew up with clunky Sears mowers that died a soon death after three seasons. One of my first lessons on the hidden costs of going cheap.

I always coveted my neighbor's Lawnboy.

While I had the Lb in the shop to have the starter thing attached to the cord replaced (technical jargon, I know), I also asked for the shop to sharpen the blades and replace the oil. Since I can't remember the last time I did either (some attempt at changing the oil by turning the mower upside down and then refilling several years ago...pretty slick), it was time for both. Routine maintenance, every decade I say.

Well, I got the mower back from the shop. It kept stalling. Great, they broke my lawn mower. I had a specific problem before but now it is total mower failure. End of life care. Hospice. So, I strained my back once again and lifted the mower into the trunk of the Honda Civic and took it back to the shop. The repair dude adjusted a few screws and took it for a test mow. All OK. Well, not really. I found, after getting home and straining my back taking the mower out, it starts strong and then fades quick.

I discovered that putting the choke in the lowest revving setting possible surprisingly (the tortoise icon, not the hare, seriously. This is no fable) causes the mower to hum and stabilize. Because the blades have been sharpened and the mower has fresh oil coursing through its veins, it actually cuts the grass fine. And, at a much lower decibel level than before. Probably saves gas, too.

Before the mower would sound like a Harley and I had to wear earplugs so as to not wind up like nearly deaf Peter Townshend from The Who. I still wear earplugs even though it is but a whisper sound now, relatively speaking.

Spiritual analogies abound. When we are sharp spiritually, reading the Word, praying, fellowshipping, witnessing, and seeking the Holy Spirit's anointing (like oil) we run cooler and smoother. So it is quite strange. My mower in many ways is a lite version of it old brawny self. Yet, it cuts the grass better than before. If I crank up the choke, it shuts down. If something revs too high, sometimes it is a sign that it is not in sync.

Something is still not right with the mower but in a real way, it works better. Yes, less is more...less is mow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream