Hard Seats Are Good for the Soul

I spent several months chained to my office chair writing my Dissertation for 8-10 hours a day. I made a decision at the beginning that the chair selected should be softer on my Gluteus Maximus rather than harder. Although I did not study Chairology in college, I had a good idea of what would happen. I knew better...

My butt would feel better in the short term, as I was sitting in it. But, over time, it would start to hurt more. Then, sitting in the soft chair would smart 24-7. Of course, my massive amount of driving for my Pa. Brew Tour hardly helped...

A harder chair paradoxically causes less pain over the long-term. Kind of like if you really want to wreck your back and turn it into a twisted pretzel, sleep on a soft mattress. It won't be long until you have scoliosis. A firm mattress, not too hard, not too soft (as in Goldilocks) is what is needed.

Funny how fairy tales contain so much truth. Well, on with my Fanny Tale...

The trials and tribulations of the Ph.D. are now fading as a middle school bully walking away down the school hallway who has finally decided to pick on someone else....the thrill of torment is gone. However, several months later my backside still hurts.

I have pulled out the hard oak chair and am now doing penance of sorts. My butt is slowly staring to recover. It does not feel all comfy to sit in but I know that its hardness is healing. Over time, I will find a better chair after the corrective effects have transpired. Both friendly and firm, if it it appropriate to anthropomorphize the chair.

Warning: Theological Application for your less Spiritual Types:

We want God to gives us soft chairs and easy lives. Instead, He calls us to sit in harder chairs. Life is not to be wasted in ease on soft couches in front of the TV watching corrosive nonsense. Life is a school house, and harder chairs keep us alert and focused to learn. Learning is not always fun...what is? The Sesame Street approach to schooling unfortunately has led to an "entertain" me rather than "educate" me whine. Learning can be fun but sometimes it can hurt because it is hard. Or should be.

Comments

AK Singh said…
Love the note for us less spiritual types- wish common sense like this prevails before the US public education system turns to complete dust. Sesame street "entertain" me education- you are funny.

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream