Linkin Park Valentine's Day, Charlie Brown, and Christmas

I have been listening a lot to to Linkin Park Valentine's Day (video) . Here are some of the lyrics:

My insides all turned to ash, so slow, And blew away as I collapsed, so cold
A black wind took them away, from sight, And held the darkness over day, that night

And the clouds above move closer, Looking so dissatisfied
But the heartless wind kept blowing, blowing, I used to be my own protection, but not now
Cause my path had lost direction, somehow, A black wind took you away, from sight
And held the darkness over day, that night

And the clouds above move closer, Looking so dissatisfied
And the ground below grew colder, As they put you down inside
But the heartless wind kept blowing, blowing

So now you're gone, and I was wrong, I never knew what it was like, to be alone

On a Valentine's Day, on a Valentine's Day, On a Valentine's Day, on a Valentine's Day
On a Valentine's Day, on a Valentine's Day, (I used to be my own protection, but not now)

Kind of reminded me about Charlie Brown never getting any Valentine cards while Snoopy got boxes and boxes worth. On Thursday night, after the showing of the Charlie Brown Christmas classic, we went out to light the 'Charlie Brown" Evergreen tree out in front of our place. I like the minimalist approach to Christmas displays. Less gaudy. Better yet, less work. 5 minutes and I am finished. I think the display lines up well with the simple yet profound spirit of "Babe in the Manger" type of vibe. I knew a guy who used to leave his Christmas lights up all year (but not turn them on outside of the season) as it was too much work to take them down and put them up year-after-year.

I went to flick the switch, and, NOTHING. The lights' plug had come out of the power strip. It was all so "Charlie Brownish" as someone had commented. It was cold, it was dark, it was windy, and I felt all alone. But, I was with friends and we all had a good laugh. I turned the house lights back on and diagnosed the problem, turned off the house lights, and did it again. Earlier in the day I had done a trial run and it all had worked well after I turned the breaker back on (initially the outside outlets had no power until I deduced that the breaker had shut off for some reason...but then the plug came out anyway). I was so proud of my preemptive preparation. All ruined! I will never rebound from this crashing defeat...I'm ruined. Yeah, right. Buck up camper and move on!

Facebook had one of those stupid little tests that determined which Peanuts character I was most like. I like to see myself as part Charlie Brown (the lovable loser), Linus (the philosophical thumb-sucker), Schroeder (eccentric artist), and Snoopy (Joe Cool). The FB quiz said that I was Franklin, the cerebral black kid. Huh? It made a note that since I liked books and was kind of athletic, Franklin was the best fit. Right on bro!

Here are some funny quote from Peanuts.

Mentioning Franklin, one of the best quotes from Peanuts came from the mouth of Franklin. Charlie Brown and Franklin were hanging out at the wall with their elbows in place and Franklin said, "My grandfather used to say that 'You don't appreciate the well until the well runs dry' "(and) Charlie Brown replied, "Your grandfather was a wise man." Franklin responded, "Not really, that is all he ever said." Why do I remember this? I have no idea.

Let us appreciate the "well" of God's grace this season. For it never runs dry!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream