A Close Shave?

Proverbs 27:17

"Iron sharpens iron, so a man sharpens the face of his friend."

Yesterday, in my fulfillment of my present House Husband duties (I have formed HH LLC, House Husband Limited Liability Corporation, to shield me from personal liability due to my dereliction of duties and other mishaps), I made a run down to Savemart to buy some vitamins for my wife to replenish her supply. She is trending towards taking vitamins daily (it has been hit-or-miss for quite some time) so I want to do what I can to encourage this recent development.

Savemart is this odd combination of a retail store with all kinds of knick-knacks (and) a supplement megastore that has good prices and a good selection. Once you negotiate the narrow aisles, it is kind of like a video game to find an open lane, and pass all of the crappy food, hygiene products, auto ice scrapers, cheap stuffed animals, half-priced Christmas music, and etc., you arrive at Supplement Shangri-La. They have a Himalayan high shelves of anything A-Z.

In general, I think if a person eats well and exercises, then 90% of health problems will be lessened or eliminated (barring genetic preconditions). The remaining 10%, can be improved by vitamins and other supplements. There seems to be a symptom in our society, and I have been guilty of it, to see "magic pills" to be the answer in alleviating ailments. With natural stuff, the pursuit of pilldom probably is harmless (but expensive) but could be helpful. For those pills put out by the pharmaceutical industry, one has to wonder if the ailments relieved are worth the side affects. Like if I am already depressed, and I take a pill that increases the chance of me being suicidal, that gives me a pretty good reason to not take it. Unless of course, I want to kill myself.

Some meds are necessary, but our Aldous Huxley "Soma Prophecy" fulfillment makes me wonder. We need "Truth" more than anything. Our society seems to manufacture fractured people...maybe we need to think about what is causing all of these ailments (mental, psychological, and physical) rather than treating the symptoms. We would be wise to revisit Karl Menninger's work "Whatever Became of Sin?"

After putting Lina's vitamins in my basket, I headed to the check-out. My eye caught the gadget Save-A-Blade. It is supposed to sharpen razor blades so that one can extend the life of the shaver. Since I am having a harder and harder time finding the shavers I like, I took the bait. Well the reviews are decidedly mixed on this product and I felt kind of sheepish that I took the bait. Phew, good thing I formed HH LLC! In retrospect, the product was inexpensive and it could pay for itself fairly quickly at the $ 20 I paid...so I think it worth the shot, er shave.

Whether Save-A-Blade works or not, the sharpening principle holds....truth sharpens us. Truth can cut and nick, so we need to be graceful and gentle, in our wielding of it. But, we can shave away layers of lies and preserve the skin of people's souls simultaneously. Otherwise, we will get shaggier and scragglier as a country....looking more and more spiritually like wild beasts (like Paul encountered in Ephesus).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream