Lukewarm

Revelation 3:16

"So because thou art lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spew thee out of my mouth."

I have been reading Francis Chan's 2008 book Crazy Love: Overwhelmed By A Relentless God . Don't let the title have you thinking that this is going to be a book about Universalism--that all are saved because a loving God would never send people to Hell.

It is quite the contrary. In Chapter 4 "Profile of the Lukewarm" Chan goes on the offensive about complacent "Christians." He cites this verse in Revelation 3:16 (above) and the Parable of the Soils by writing "Do not assume that you are good soil." (Luke, Ch. 8). As such, Chan especially zeroes in on those who profess faith but lack the true signs of faith. He suggests that they can call themselves Christians but that they really are not. They may attend Church but there is no fruit to suggest that their "faith tree" in more alive than the wood pews they sit on.

I say "they" because I truly hope that Jesus and Chan are not talking about me. I love Reformed Theology for many reasons but one big reason is that it is considered a perpetual starting point that even as saved people we struggle with sin. And the second that we think we are good enough on our own merits/good works or are fine with God because of our outwardly successful status in the world, like they did in the Church of Laodicea to whom Jesus is speaking, then we are in enormous danger.

If we admit our continuing need for God's grace, then we are more apt to share it with others. If we don't think we need Grace, how can we share what we see no need for having? While we are not saved by works, inward faith is evidenced but outward works. Without works, it is fair to presume that true faith is missing (but it always has to be that faith is first).

As I have gotten older, I have developed more of an appreciation for strong tastes...coffee, wasabi, bleu cheese, none of which I liked when younger. I also like hot things hot like soup or entrees. I'll put food back in the microwave until the dish becomes molten before I pull it out to be eaten. I really despise cold patches in food....if I come across one, I will re-nuke with a vengeance.

My wife notes that as people get older they (ahem, me) lose both their sense of taste in their aging tastebuds and sensitivity to extremes in temperature with foods due to the nerves in the mouth dying out (probably because I eat food too hot, I have prematurely killed nerves. Which makes me want to make the food even hotter the next round...kind of like the kid who has to keep turning up his I-Pod louder and louder because of the subsequent hearing loss from playing it loud to start with). So, strong flavor with high heat is my recipe for success.

I can't dismiss what Chan is saying. When a person quotes Scripture after Scripture warning believers of a mushy and tepid faith, I need to heed. In fact, I had a difficult time sleeping last night after reading this. One characteristic that the Church in Laodicea exhibited was that they thought all was OK with them and God. Maybe they were counting on Jesus now being like an old man who could no longer discern their flavor of spirituality or their lack of heat. I don't want to be like this. So, I don't want to ignore the warning.

Jesus calls them out, "Because thou sayest, I am rich, and have gotten riches, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art the wretched one and miserable and poor and blind and naked." This church was drunken materially and a wino spiritually who did not see his need.

Jesus concludes (verse 19), "As many as I love, I reprove and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent." The historical record shows that the Church in Laodicea did not repent and God took them out as He said He would. God never issues a threat that He does not have the will to execute. Thank God for strong teaching. It is an act of love to tell people the truth no matter the world's tastes.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shake the Dust: Anis Mojgani

White Shoes, White Stones

Going Rogue: Dare, Risk, Dream